Thread: Vegetable oils linked to blindness

Default Vegetable oils linked to blindness

And I've got signs of macular degeneration happening, all those drafted veggie pills products I consumed for years may have contributed.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/vege...10-gdj3ic.html
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

Interesting article RM.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

Quote Originally Posted by roseymary View Post
    And I've got signs of macular degeneration happening, all those drafted veggie pills products I consumed for years may have contributed.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/vege...10-gdj3ic.html
    Lets hope you find a way to reverse it RM.

Well blueberries are one of the recommended foods, another are now on the menu daily.
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

These are supposed to be helpful for slowing the progression of MD Rosemary: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=Macushi...f=nb_sb_noss_2
    Last edited by 2nd_Alto; 14th December 2019 at 09:50 AM.
    Sue - the first "no thank you" is the easiest

Club Member

I am sorry to read you have this occurring Roseymary, not good but hope you can stem its progression.

Glad I use pure dripping to brown meat and not vegetable or even olive oil, which is too expensive for such a task.

I think we are the generation of modern food production after WW11 and we are not reaping the benefits that were proclaimed. Our parents and to some extent us were drawn into the wonders of these new, interesting and quick cheap foods. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I hope future generations will benefit from us being guinea pigs.
    Last edited by ChristineJ; 15th December 2019 at 11:56 AM.

I had no idea veg oils could be the cause of macular degeneration. Seeing the date on your link, I checked for more recent information and was surprised at how well known this is. Why the heck isn't it more common knowledge? Fear of losing ones sight in old age is universal, yet we usually only hear about cataracts and glaucoma.
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

Worrying isn’t it!
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

I wonder if the worrying figures estimated for Australia translate to the rest of the world? They are very worrying. Is there anything particular about the Australian use of these oils that makes the occurrence so high.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamie View Post
    I wonder if the worrying figures estimated for Australia translate to the rest of the world? They are very worrying. Is there anything particular about the Australian use of these oils that makes the occurrence so high.
    I did a bit of googling after reading rosey's link...and it would seem it's not just Australia, but anywhere that processed vegetable oils have taken over from butter, and olive oil. Lots of articles and published papers ftom the U.S. in particular. This dates from 2001.

Like Christine says, we and our parents are the generation that got brainwashed into believing veg oils were good for us, and had them pushed frown our throats in an astonishing array of foods that we are only just realising are complete and total rubbish.
    Beneficial foods include nuts, leafy greens, and fish.
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.