Thread: Pharmaceutical drugs which adversely affect our personality

Default Pharmaceutical drugs which adversely affect our personality

This BBC article was a fascinating read, if you or someone you love is/are taking any prescription medications you might want to think about the unexpected side-effects flagged up in the article.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

That's actually quite scary!
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

It is but I guess in interest of balance it should be acknowledged that medicine does good as well as bad things. I don't think any of us should be too quick to take medication when diet and lifestyle might work better without side effects but having said that there are times when we have to and sometimes people don't take medication and this causes damage too. For example I have seen in my career that more people have killed themselves possibly due to decision not to take anti depressants or anti psychotics than would if they took the medication and they often don't want to because of fear of side effects. As ever these things are complex

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffi coffi View Post
    It is but I guess in interest of balance it should be acknowledged that medicine does good as well as bad things. I don't think any of us should be too quick to take medication when diet and lifestyle might work better without side effects but having said that there are times when we have to and sometimes people don't take medication and this causes damage too. For example I have seen in my career that more people have killed themselves possibly due to decision not to take anti depressants or anti psychotics than would if they took the medication and they often don't want to because of fear of side effects. As ever these things are complex
    It's a toughie - one of the side-effects of anti-depressants can be depression... Particularly in the young!
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

That is a fascinating article, not least the factoid that the US buys 298 paracetamol per person per year.

I agree with HC though - we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that opting to take a drug is often the right answer. Diet and lifestyle can't fix everything and if an imperfect drug exists that can put somebody in a better place overall, then most people would go ahead and take it.

A friend of mine is on an anti-depressant and has gained weight as a result, but she thinks it's a small price to pay for the overall improvement in her well being.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat View Post
    It's a toughie - one of the side-effects of anti-depressants can be depression... Particularly in the young!
    yes it can be. You have to remember that in my job I see people who are acutely unwell so not necessarily the same as most people who are prescribed anti-depressants by their gp, and arguably gps over prescribe. I work in secondary care so someone by the very nature of seeing us will likely be acutely suicidal or not eating or off work or self neglecting etc.

Scary indeed, although I didn't read the whole article (they rather lost me at the bit that said cholesterol lowering drugs save tens of thousands of lives). I do sometimes get a bit annoyed with people who seem to think they can take strong drugs for anything and are surprised that there are potential side effects. See - I have reduced empathy for strangers (that'll be the pain meds )
    3 stone gone forever! Gluten free phase 3.