Thread: Do we need fruit and veg?

Default Do we need fruit and veg?

A nice discussion and summary of this topic from the diet doctor blog.

Also identifies the carb content of some fruits and veg with useful pictoral diagrams if anyone finds that helpful.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

Thank you Gilli. This is very helpful
    Trust the process, the results will come

On a personal level, I don’t eat a lot of veg and very little fruit and it doesn’t seem to cause me any problems. I find the less I eat, the less I can tolerate. Pulses, beans, peas and squash all seem to cause bloating and discomfort. It’s comforting to know that I’m not lacking anything although it only backs up my gut instinct.

I find I am best limiting my veg intake to some green leafy stuff like rocket and watercress and occasional spinach. I know spinach has highish oxalates so can cause problems for some people. Oxalates may adversely affect two of my four children, neither of them can tolerate swiss chard. Not sure about the other two and not sure about myself. This article is interesting on the subject of phyto toxins.

It does make me laugh and cry when people advocate spinach smoothies for optimal health. Each to their own I suppose.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

Note to self to read links later.
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilli View Post
    I find I am best limiting my veg intake to some green leafy stuff like rocket and watercress and occasional spinach. I know spinach has highish oxalates so can cause problems for some people. Oxalates may adversely affect two of my four children, neither of them can tolerate swiss chard. Not sure about the other two and not sure about myself. This article is interesting on the subject of phyto toxins.

It does make me laugh and cry when people advocate spinach smoothies for optimal health. Each to their own I suppose.
    I've never done smoothies but I did juicing a few years back which probably did me no favours.

I'm currently under the Urology Clinic which I suspect is an oxalate issue so I'm currently avoiding high ox veggies.