Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twice as High Diet-Induced Thermogenesis After Breakfast vs Dinner On High-Calorie as

Default Twice as High Diet-Induced Thermogenesis After Breakfast vs Dinner On High-Calorie as

Twice as High Diet-Induced Thermogenesis After Breakfast vs Dinner On High-Calorie as Well as Low-Calorie Meals

Daily Mail Article on this paper.
    Eating a big breakfast instead of a large dinner could help you burn DOUBLE the amount of calories 'because it boosts the metabolism more'

A big breakfast could be the key to losing weight, researchers in Germany said
    Their study found filling up in the morning boosts a metabolism process
    Diet-induced thermogenesis was shown to be twice as high in breakfast eaters
    In contrast, a low calorie breakfast increases appetite, especially for sweets

Thanks for this one Ted. I can hear a small voice asking “If this is true for 16 normal weight men, does it also apply to overweight women? Also, even if it does, does it matter?”

My n=1 experience is that I am happy to fast until somewhere between midday and mid-afternoon but once the fast is broken I am going to need to eat again within 6 hours. If I break my fast at noon I will probably have one meal later if I break my fast at 07:00 I will probably have two more meals in the day.

Can we see what works for us? I know we don’t have access to the calorimeter but we can collect data on number of meals, feeling of hunger and propensity to snack as well as urges to eat sweet foods.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

Will read in a minute, but first thought was...what's the point of burning 2x the amount of calories if eating early may mean you eat more in the course of the day?
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

There is useful discussion taking place on this paper at Reddit/ScientificNutrition/comments including a link to the full text, This comment caught my attention.
    Figure 3A shows dinner-heavy DIT at ~0.3 kJ/min and breakfast-focused DIT at ~0.7 kJ/min. That equates to a daily caloric difference of ~140 calories. I agree it's not huge but it is significant

This comment caught my eye...
    " *I'm curious if, had they studied IFers or habitual breakfast skippers, if this would have just been the response to the*first*meal, regardless of whether it's diurnal morning or not. "
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

Thanks for the reddit link Ted. Preparing to chase the rabbit down the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by grumbleweed View Post
    This comment caught my eye...
    " *I'm curious if, had they studied IFers or habitual breakfast skippers, if this would have just been the response to the*first*meal, regardless of whether it's diurnal morning or not. "
    I wondered that as well.
    I've been interested in the Early Time Restricted feeding studies where people have an and eating window that starts early and ends around 4 pm
    Clinical study finds eating within 10-hour window may help stave off diabetes, heart disease Science Daily version
    Zoe has already covered this research here Time restricted eating in people with metabolic syndrome

I found it relatively easy to eat breakfast and lunch early and then not eat anything after 3-4 pm. Trouble is I've lost more weight than intended and don't seem to be putting it back on. But I think when you eat is habit forming and now I've got out of the habit of not eating after 5pm I'm not really interested so there is no temptation to snack, I really notice it when I go to Film club, how people are snacking immediately they get to their seats, rush to the sweets/coffee/ice creams at the interval and are still munching away through the second half.

That's partly just fat adaptation vs carb addiction though isn't it. I don't think any of this time restricted eating or fasting is easy, or possible to do comfortably, unless you have first given up most carbs.

It's also partly some sort of conditioned reflex to watching a film - for many people, films = snacks, no matter what the time of day.

My observation for myself is that once I've eaten a substantial breakfast I get hungry within 4 hours. If I have just bone broth plus perhaps a couple of eggs I don't seem to get to hungry. So my query is, does increasing the DIT mean the food gets used up quicker or am I being simplistic?
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

This from the diet doctor may counter the conclusions from the original paper - have only read the heading so far.