Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D and the current epidemic.?

I have shared this where I can. Thank you Ted, it was very interesting to see the possible/probable mechanisms.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

Hello every body yes still here...

WOW - Thanks for that Ted. My 1000IU a day is only 9000 short. I took the packet instructions - I have the Vitabiotics so called optimum level. Am I reading the packet correctly?

I know it's been covered before and Vit D is Fat soluble but just when is best to take them to make sure we get full benefit?

Many thanks Andrew.
    “When you point your finger, your other three fingers point back at you.”

Club Member

I take 2 of these each day during the winter. I am sure they were recommended on one of the threads sometimes ago (late 2018?) when Vit D was being debated.

Vitamin D D3 5000IU Cholecalciferol in Olive Oil, 180 - 365 Softgels, NaturPlus

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vitamin-D...202334317039?v

I normally take my VitD together with VitK2 and magnesium shortly after my midday meal.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Hello every body yes still here...

WOW - Thanks for that Ted. My 1000IU a day is only 9000 short. I took the packet instructions - I have the Vitabiotics so called optimum level. Am I reading the packet correctly?

I know it's been covered before and Vit D is Fat soluble but just when is best to take them to make sure we get full benefit?

Many thanks Andrew.
    Good to see you are still with us Andrew.

I take mine after a meal. I believe Ted recommended taking D with food to help with absorption.
    My magnesium is is a dispersable form, so i sip it during the day and evening.

This is what I take, and where I get them from. They are available in 10,000iu also.

I still have to look at Ted's links, I've been a bit distracted.
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilli View Post
    Good to see you are still with us Andrew.
    Always lurking - Unfortunately I am the horse that has been lead to the water. I take the occasional slurp. I have a very strong and contentious lady to deal with, who thinks all my food choices are strange. I try and can go for about 3 months but eventually something comes along and makes me cave in. There are always baddies as I call them in the cupboard, I have that hunter gatherer trait and once I have seen it, it nags on me sometimes for days... Its easier to give in every now and then but that leads to giving up all together. I have however managed to give up Alcohol - I say that I have reached 46 days. I don't succumb to the alcohol induced over indulging, so there is a glint of silver in the clouds. Maybe I can now choose to give up another item and I will get away with it by stealth

I started taking Vit D but was then told that it wasn't a good idea because I'm prescribed Bendroflumethiazide for hypertension.

Quote Originally Posted by grumbleweed View Post
    This is what I take, and where I get them from.
    Many thanks I have ordered

Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    I started taking Vit D but was then told that it wasn't a good idea because I'm prescribed Bendroflumethiazide for hypertension.
    Oh - that's interesting... I have been on Bendroflumethiazide (2.5mg) for several years, then about 12 months ago, my GP said my Vit D levels were low and to supplement at around 10000iu per day. Levels have been rechecked and she's very happy with them, but not once has she mentioned any possible interaction. Did they say what the issue might be?

EDIT
    Dr Google says tell your doc if taking both (NHS site) but not that you definitely shouldn't. Apparently can cause raised calcium levels, but bloods came back fine, and I have none of the possible effects (headache/lethargy/nausea etc).
    Last edited by Sarah(sjc); 18th March 2020 at 02:56 PM.