Thread: From the USA quite shocking news

Default From the USA quite shocking news

I don't know if I can post the part of this about US authorities preparing to euthanise texan cattle herds whilst starting to import beef from Namibia or whether only the full blog by Dr Shawn Baker is postable.

Here it is

I will come back and tinker with it if it does not post satisfactorily.

I think it had to be the whole blog, so do scroll through to the texas rancher part because it is rather chilling news.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

Club Member

This is so sad, to more or less give the animals away, they have no value at the moment is heart breaking. I think there will be some suicides amongst these farmers/families.

It will also hit the farmers who grow crops for animal feed, the animals haulage companies, vets, etc.

Where I live, I know of families (plural) were suicide has happened, it is high amongst farmers and we have had a lovely vet commit suicide. Living in the rural areas is not all honey and cream, it is hard.

This is tragic and horrifying. Yet they are importing meat from Namibia.
    The animals are not even being given away...they will simply be destroyed. Wasted...thrown in the trash almost.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/pork-in...ts-11588015611

I wish there was a link to that cattle ranchers video.
    Last edited by grumbleweed; 29th April 2020 at 02:22 PM.
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

I cant get either properly but tha'ts down to the sound quality on my PC.
    If they are being killed because the plants are shut down due to the lockdown then that's just plain stupid. In this country they would be classed as vital to the supply chain and could therefore carry on working.

Apparently plants are shutting down due to coronavirus in the workforce.
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

There is a law covering most states about meat (other than bulk meat) being sold to the consumer having to be processed through USDA processing plants. It prevents a farmer selling his meat directly to the consumer unless they are taking a whole carcase [at least that is my understanding without having read the legislation].

The USDA processing plants are falling idle (possibly covid issues) and the obvious answer seems to me to repeal the legislation. In the meantime if families got together in co-operative groups they could probably buy shares in a cow or pig carcase and solve everyone's problems but the message needs to get out that it is the way around the regulations.

The other issue, of course, being that people need to know that eating meat is probably the best diet to defeat Covid-19 and also knowing how to cook all parts of the carcase.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

I thought Trump had dictated that meat processing plants should stay open?