Thread: Moronic Daily Fail Article of the Day...

Default Moronic Daily Fail Article of the Day...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...riest-May.html

Last I checked the reservoir was behind the dam...... That's the overspill which they have cut off to keep more water behind the dam.....

Morons!
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

Oh dear! What an embarrassingly bad bit of journalism. I wish I could say that avoiding the Daily Mail would keep you safe from such articles but I am afraid even the broadsheets get things spectacularly wrong occasionally.

Incidentally, we have a lot of reservoirs in the Dartmoor region of Devon. Some of them have “layers”. ie a series of dams because the topography lends itself to that. Could there be such a situation in the one shown in the pictures? No need to throw anything at me, I am just trying to help . . .
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

I wondered the same Gilli - should the lower bit also be full of water, though I would have expected them to allow the levels to fall evenly across the 'steps' if that was the case.

If you look at the pictures; the lower bit will be full of water when the reservoir is full and overflowing. - The ones in Derbyshire apparently always look like that after a period of warm and dry - They close off the sluices at the bottom of the dam to keep the water in.
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

Club Member

They may have got the geography wrong but it is still worrying. it is that dry so quickly in the year. We here in my part of Norfolk have not seen rain for weeks and when it does the ground is hard clay the rain, if it falls hard and fast, will just run off. It needs to be long, light and steady in order to do any good.

We have had a warning about water shortages due to the number of people working from home and more water being used as a result. Our water in this village comes from bore holes, it is one of the hardest water in the country, lots of money spent on limescale remover, water softeners, etc.

Should we tell the children?

Children have been in a position of being actively (or possibly more accurately described, as inactively) involved in the current health issue. Somewhere along the way I guess they’ve been given some sort of an explanation. My thoughts come from skimming through Zoe’s post of today.

About four years ago my G.P. in line with government guidelines, dutifully explained that I needed to loose weight. A lovely doctor but not a good example of weight control. A surgeon I consulted told me to loose weight but couldn’t tell me how.

In the 1950/60’s I can remember my Mum dragging me to the doctors with a urine specimen. Don’t recall being told why. Just remember he told Mum it tested ok. Just woken up to realising this was probably testing for sugar i.e. diabetes. I was a very fat child even by the standards of today. Just as well Mum was a seamstress otherwise I wouldn’t have had any clothes to wear.

When I was little, a fat man with a thin wife showed they were rich, the reverse they were poor. Wonder if there is any factual evidence for that. The people locally are quite savvy. They stay at home. The local fast food shops are surrounded by deliveroo workers and similar blocking the way. Social distancing doesn’t come into it. Not sure where wealth and poverty fit in. People must be cooking. Flour and cocoa powder were missing from the supermarket for ages. A neighbour works in a pizza place and is exhausted with the demand. Don’t think poverty is the issue locally. There are pockets of extreme poverty though. Went to a series of nutrition classes in a deprived area of London. Very mixed class of age, ethnicity, mental ability, and wealth. Conventional knowledge about food and health was not lacking.

Wish as a child it had been explained to me the whys and importance of urine testing. A lot of children will do the right thing if given the opportunity and the why. Am suggesting the main folk that need educating are parents, politicians and medics. A senior nurse colleague told me doctors don’t test for diabetes cos it would cost too much and there isn’t the backup to deal with the results. I feel upset that my working colleagues are fed donuts rather than being given Vitamin D.

Have a look at the YouTube video. As a world we are going to have to pay the price somehow sometime soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnvmEUUtoZw

Covid is going to cost us and our children a mint. Diabetes is costing more. May be it’s our leaders as well as our children who need to be told what to do and why.

When my children attended the dentist in the 90’s at EVERY visit we were all told not to have Cola and I presume other fizzy drinks. I protested that we didn’t. Nevertheless at each visit we were instructed the same.

Think the big “children” as well as the little ones need to be made to listen to why then hopefully we can be on the road to health and stop spending money unnecessarily.

Fascinating post - hadn't seen it that way (fat man/thin woman bit)!

My SIL was a dental nurse - she reckons fruit juices and potato crisps were also appallingly bad for teeth - especially the crisps, as they cling to the teeth for far longer than any drink!

I think it takes more than just good information to make us make the right decisions in face of so much choice in the way of food. I have been here a long time, I know all the answers, but still weigh more than I did when I started.
    Last edited by Sarah(sjc); 22nd June 2020 at 03:35 PM.