Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crisis Fatigue...We Are All Experiencing It

Default Crisis Fatigue...We Are All Experiencing It

Two current articles here...and here...what it is, and suggestions of how to cope.
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

Club Member

They are two good articles, which do not cause stress reading them as they are clear with no technical gobbledegook to plough through. I think even those of us who have coped well are beginning to feel the strain, hope I am not generalizing too much here.

I have been absolutely fine until about 48 hours ago mentally (which is where most articles, professionals and others are focusing|) I still am ok. Physically my body is being to show an accumulation of 'stress' e.g. cellulitis in my lower legs, my hair and eyebrows have fallen out big time, odd sores on my skin and skin becoming drier than normal, no matter how much prescribed creams I put on it. My arms not liking the silicon grip or skin adhesive of my compression garments and I have developed blisters. It has been a slow build up and all the work I have to put in is harder and takes longer. Lack of meaningful exercise has not help, although I do some indoors and have worked in the garden, it is not the same.
    Last edited by ChristineJ; 14th June 2020 at 05:52 PM.

Good articles there GW.

It is both reassuring to hear that the emotional ups and downs I am experiencing are pretty universal in these times but also somewhat distressing to know that so many others are feeling this way.

When I was litigating we had ups and downs a bit like this. Some weeks or months of really intense work culminating in either a court/tribunal hearing, a mediation at which things were settled between the parties or one party or the other throwing in the towel because of the weight of evidence against them. The difference is that there was a goal to work to then and I felt that my work made a difference to the outcome. Sometimes you would have that "bingo" moment when for example you found that one small piece of evidence in the disclosure bundle which showed that the party you were not acting for had been less than frank and honest in their witness statement. Other times things were a bit slow, just waiting for the next big case to come in. The way things are with Covid-19 I feel totally helpless, nothing I do or say will make any difference to the outcome and all the things I read and watch make me think [and perhaps hope] that the current reaction has been an over-reaction.

The way my body is behaving is how it was during the most intense times at work. It doesn't matter how strictly I follow P1 or P2 it will not lose weight and if I go into P3 I immediately gain.

Quite often at the moment I just want to weep, and I know that I am luckier than many but counting my blessings does not help make the raw emotions any easier to manage.

Cortisol R Us.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

What I am feeling mostly at the moment is a combination of boredom, anger and frustration. Boredom because there is little variation in my life from day to day. Apart from work (which has been frustrating lately with lots of network problems) every day is the same. I go nowhere, I see no-one... Anger because I have diverged from the path that we are officially on regarding lockdown, and frustration at all of it. I feel angry that my life is being taken away from me and without a really good reason. I feel angry that we are being forced to behave in such an unnatural way. All the things and events that punctuate my spring and summer are missing and life is just one long, boring day after another. I went into town yesterday to give my laptop to a work colleague as I am getting a new one on Monday, and it was so lovely to have a face to face conversation with another person. Apart from brief shouted conversations with neighbours from a distance of about 10m, Iíve had very few face to face conversations with other people over the past 3 months.

I know a lot of people who say they are happy with living like this and donít want to go back to how they were before, and others who feel very nervous going outside (one person has been shielding and went outside for the first time in 3 months recently. He said he felt very anxious just being outside). If we were told tomorrow we could all go back to normal, I think many would be unable to do that.
    3 stone gone forever! Gluten free phase 3.

Club Member

Gilli just eat the right foods and put losing weight on the back burner. I am sure when we have more freedom and options, your cortisol levels will dampen down and you will lose the weight you want.

The days are long and boring Catlover, trying to stretch out chores so there is always something to do the following or for bright sunny days outside or inside when it is raining, is itself frustrating - how many times can one wash vacuum the carpets or sort out a wardrobe. Will we ever moan about over lives again when this is over?

Grumbleweed, thank you for sharing those two articles. I’m just so grateful to have such a special group to share things with. Knowing for example what is good for our bodies to eat does give us some control over our lives. There is so much to be valued in the articles we can read each week. I doubt we would be so well informed any other way.

Christine what is your organisational secrets? We moved into our current home to look after my mother and never really got things sorted out. Superficially my husband and I have different values. On the things that really matter we are united. Such a blessing.

Hope Zoe isn’t listening. Met a lady in the eye clinic. She has sought help from a nutritional therapist regarding her diabetes. She did loose weight temporarily and reversed her diabetes at a cost of £2,000 for three months care.

The physios locally do online courses. A local college has done classes for various craft and art things though I think they are coming to an end. What’s available in your area?

Can I share some joy I experienced recently? I was texting my family to go outside and celebrate 72 years of the NHS. I was at the local shopping centre. Clapping was lead by a colleague from the special care baby unit I had not seen for 35 years. Our good works do catch up with us. It was such a joy to see her.

Don’t under estimate the smile, (can be seen in your eyes) or thumbs up you give, may be as a thank you. Can mean so much.

Just had a look at who has read this thread. May be it’s my iPad but it looks like we’ve been social distancing, ha ha.

So sorry I’ve missed the purpose of the therapy you have received. How about seeking the thoughts of the consultant caring for you. Can ask for options, don’t have to take them.

Need to get ready for my allotment walk.

Well as someone going back, as of today, into another 6 weeks of lockown, this time I know I can cope and when I feel o stressed by it all, phone a friend for a chat.

Last time I went for online shopping, this time I will shop once a week fro myself, as my suburb has no actic cases, so I'd be very unlucky to catch this virus.

Thank goodness for back seasons of Australian Masterchef.
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

Club Member

I do feel for you RM it is going to be tough to go backwards, probably due to a few people not being sensible and not thinking of others and the consequences of their behaviour.

You have a plan of action. I have worked through my address book, making contact with all those who I wanted to but never getting around to it before lockdown. I rang a couple on every wet day.

How are you post-surgery, will this lockdown interfere with any exercise you have to do?

I am supposed to be shielding until August 1st but my hairdresser is going to do my hair this morning. I will be her first customer, no one else in the shop and door will be locked. I have my mask & gloves, drink of water and I have paid in advance so no touching of card machine. She also has full PPE. Although she said it gets a bit warm when the hair dryer is on. The heat and air blows bits around which then sticks by static to her visor, she had a practice run.

I think there were people who were not "sensible" and had parties Christine, but there were also others - maybe with limited income, limited English, perhaps on casual employment who continued to go to work despite a slight sore throat or cough... because - no work, no money. I feel for RM having to go back into lockdown - and for the restaurants and cafes in Melbourne who had just reopened and now have to go back to take aways only again.. but I don't think the situation is simple. For anyone.
    Sue - the first "no thank you" is the easiest

Club Member

There was an interview this morning on BBC News (tv) that there was no thought given to different ways messages on how to behave were given, to take account of language, culture, etc. Everything was too English and various 'groups' did not understand what was being said or expected.

Would it make any difference?