Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: We Must accept That Junk Food is The New Tabacco

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah(sjc) View Post
    You can’t put the genie back in the bottle, sadly. I think all we can do is educate, curb advertising, and maybe those that won’t change - well, what can you do? Also, I think planners could reduce the number at fast food takeaways in our towns - let’s face it, they contribute hugely to littering, fat bergs in cities, rat problems and more, besides obesity/unhealthy eating. But I don’t think the food industry juggernaut can be stopped.
    There were photos all over the media yesterday of folks showing off their "bargain" meals...all of it junk or fast food. Quite possibly selectively chosen for effect by newspaper editors. But I'm sure that's what most people go for...the most food for the least money. Quality doesn't enter the equation.

It's possible that some types of junk food could or should be taxed...but I do worry that healthy food will get dumped in the same category according to the government's skewed thinking.
    Last edited by grumbleweed; 5th August 2020 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Changed sentence to read better
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

BILs BS through the roof again (stress probably not helping), but seems keener to pop pills with very unpleasant side effects than actually do anything about it. And he is a very long way from being alone in this!

A young friend of mine was diagnosed with T1 a couple of years ago. He was delighted to find he could eat whatever he wanted, and simply adjust his insulin dose to cope. I hope he’ll see sense, it’s not a great long term attitude!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffi coffi View Post
    All good points and I am a big fan of his, but worries me slightly is doing sugar taxes and possibly junk food taxes which has been mooted only because if we support that then what happens when they want to pursue the agenda of taxing meat etc
    That worries me as well HC.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah(sjc) View Post
    A young friend of mine was diagnosed with T1 a couple of years ago. He was delighted to find he could eat whatever he wanted, and simply adjust his insulin dose to cope. I hope he’ll see sense, it’s not a great long term attitude!
    ZoŽ's brother is a type 1 diabetic and it took many, many years and a very, very serious health scare to get t him to ask Zoe how he should be eating, so what chance do us mere mortals have in making suggestions
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

Trouble is when you have two people working full time on a minimum wage, having to feed and care for a family on top of that, then inevitably they will choose the cheaper, quicker option. And a sugar/fast food tax will just make their lives harder. I do feel that we are very safe in our educated middle ish class bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamie View Post
    That worries me as well HC.
    Gosh just realised how grammatically incorrect my sentence was, that's what come of rushing!