Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Free Vitamin D

Josephine, I take Solgar K2 which is from natto. So not stricltly an animal source, but a fermented one.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

Mine is from natto also.
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

Thanks for the links Ted. Have bought vit d as itís cheaper than the sprays I currently used. Have also bought magnesium after looking up articles about Epsom salts being absorbed in the skin or not (I donít always remember to apply the sprays).

So next on my list is to work out how much k2 we should be taking...... and then buy some of that.
    Last edited by Soupee; 9th November 2020 at 04:30 PM.

From what I've seen, k2 seems to have a standardised dose of around 100mg. The one I take is a tad higher, so I take a bit less. If anyone knows otherwise I'd be interested.
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

Just to update, I have the magnesium powder Ted suggested on this thread and can confirm it barely has any taste at all and is very easy to take.... as long as I remember

Club Member

I brought my K2 from Holland & Barrett in the end. Just waiting delivery of my 2nd batch. Also had delivery again of Vit D in olive oil from NaturPlus of which I take two aday.

NHS website is still saying no evidence vitamin d helps Covid.

And that over 4000 iu is dangerous to take

This is why we end up confused!

Coronavirus update
    It's important to take vitamin D as you may have been indoors more than usual this year.

You should take 10 micrograms (400 IU) of vitamin D a day between October and early March to keep your bones and muscles healthy.

There have been some reports about vitamin D reducing the risk of coronavirus (COVID-19). But there is currently not enough evidence to support taking vitamin D to prevent or treat coronavirus.

If you choose to take vitamin D supplements, 10 micrograms a day will be enough for most people.

Do not take more than 100 micrograms (4,000 IU) of vitamin D a day as it could be harmful. This applies to adults, including pregnant and breastfeeding women and the elderly, and children aged 11 to 17 years.

My doc prescribed 10000iu when my levels were low, I don’t understand why there is such a discrepancy across NHS! My levels are normal again, and I take 4000iu daily. Why do we take K2? I’m unsure about this one, as helps with clotting, and clotting seems to be a significant complication of COVID. Or I may have misunderstood, of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Soupee View Post

My decision has been to ignore what the NHS say, because in my experience they are often wrong. I have been taking 10,000 IU of Vit D3 for years. Maybe I will suddenly drop dead from it, maybe I won’t.

These are the same clowns who tell us to wear high SPF suncream, which I have never done in this country and cover up to avoid skin cancers. The last bit of research I saw linked skin cancers more to the base creams used to deliver high SPF than to the action of sunlight.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

Quote Originally Posted by Soupee View Post

But common sense should be sufficient for you to understand that what the NHS are saying is total nonsense.

This image comes from this paper which is free full text.
    Human serum 25-hydroxycholecalciferol response to extended oral dosing with cholecalciferol
    Healthy men seem to use 3000Ė5000 IU cholecalciferol/d, apparently meeting > 80% of their winter cholecalciferol need with cutaneously synthesized accumulations from solar sources during the preceding summer months. Current recommended vitamin D inputs are inadequate to maintain serum 25-hydroxycholecalciferol concentration in the absence of substantial cutaneous production of vitamin D.
    You can see the top line was using 10,000iu daily and people only got to 200nmol/l which is in the range measured in indigenous humans living outdoor lives near the equator wearing minimal clothing.

If those levels were toxic humans would not have survived the evolutionary process.
    The second line down show typical response in BOSTON USA to 5000iu daily They are nearer the equator than BOSTON UK and get 1000 hours more sunshine annually than we do and so they are starting off from a higher level 70nmol/l compared to our levels which will be below 50nmol/l in November so our curve for 5000iu will be below their curve.
    Evaluation of vitamin D3 intakes tells us
    To achieve serum 25(OH)D levels >100 nmol/L on average, required vitamin D intakes of 6,000 IU/d for normal Body Mass Index (BMI), 7,000 IU/d for overweight and 8,000 IU/d for obese
    So just to maintain an optimal natural vitamin d status for humans requires more than 4000iu daily.
    Traditionally living populations in East Africa have a mean serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentration of 115 nmol/l

Vitamin D Toxicity, Policy, and Science
    The absence of hypercalcemia and hypercalciuria in well‐conducted trials of vitamin D leads to the conclusion that the current UL of 50 μg (2000 IU)/d has been excessively conservative. The overwhelming bulk of clinical trial evidence supports the conclusion that a prolonged intake of 250 μg (10,000 IU)/d of vitamin D3 likely poses no risk of adverse effects in almost all individuals in the general population.