Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Free Vitamin D

When my children were small, I asked my GP about sunshine - it was the start of the skin cancer scares, I suppose. His answer was as much sun as possible, but never let them burn. Not a lecture about sun cream and covering up!

Thanks Gilli and Ted. I will have a read of all those later.

I think I just get concerned that so many in our country trust the nhs and yet they seem to have this one so completely wrong (and other points too). I am happily now taking 5000 iu although being obese it looks like that should actually be more ... I think my concern is more that I have told my mum to take at least 4000 and am now doubting myself!

Mum has never eaten cream or milk (unless in icecream, cheese or cooking) so there is a potential risk of osteoporosis.

She has increased from 10iu to 2000 for now (she obviously had her doubts too!)
    Last edited by Soupee; 17th November 2020 at 11:26 AM.

With all the YouTube videos and papers I read, OH has already asked if I am turning into a scientist!
    Last edited by Soupee; 17th November 2020 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soupee View Post
    Thanks Gilli and Ted. I will have a read of all those later.

I think I just get concerned that so many in our country trust the nhs and yet they seem to have this one so completely wrong. I am happily now taking 5000 iu although being obese it looks like that should actually be more ... I think my concern is more that I have told my mum to take at least 4000 and am now doubting myself!

Mum has never eaten cream or milk (unless in icecream, cheese or cooking) so there is a potential risk of osteoporosis.

She has increased from 10iu to 2000 for now (she obviously had her doubts too!)
    My brother is a GP and for years he has been attending conferences sponsored by the pharmaceutical industry. He is a very nice, gentle and caring man but I do not trust his judgment because he believes what he learns at these CPD events where they are wined and dined royally and the company propaganda is promoted hard.

There are fewer and fewer practitioners within the NHS who actually “think” about things these days. Try to find Dr Finlay’s Casebook by AJ Cronin either in books or the old series from the 1960s on the BBC to see a fictional (based on his own experiences) portrayal of how medicine should be practised. A problem solving profession not a follow the guidelines to prescribe x office job.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

Quote Originally Posted by Gilli View Post

There are fewer and fewer practitioners within the NHS who actually “think” about things these days.
    Nail on the head!! You've hit it!
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’