Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zoe's Monday post;

Default Zoe's Monday post;

I've just read this mornings post and in some ways I'm sorry I did.
    It is frightening just how much control these few people seem to have over the whole country. If I was reading that in a novel, I think I would dismiss it as being too far-fetched.
    I don't know how we are going to break the hold they seem to have over government policy makers but thanks Zoe for bringing these issues to light.
    Hopefully you wont be a voice in the wilderness.

Will read in a bit, with trepidation...

How are you feeling now?

Had a quick scan of article - the only question I would ask is this - if the funding didn't came from pharmaceutical companies, would any research be done? Conflict of interest should always be shown up front - not left to researchers like Zoe to dig out!
    Last edited by Sarah(sjc); 9th November 2020 at 11:05 AM.

Scary.... as....
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

This is funny but apt..

The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah(sjc) View Post
    Will read in a bit, with trepidation...

How are you feeling now?

Had a quick scan of article - the only question I would ask is this - if the funding didn't came from pharmaceutical companies, would any research be done? Conflict of interest should always be shown up front - not left to researchers like Zoe to dig out!
    There used to be plenty of research courtesy of the Research Councils who distributed tax payer sourced funding to PhD students as well as tenured academics on the understanding that papers were published in reasonalble time. I think the research councils went down the pan at the same time as undergraduate grants went West, (please correct me if you know otherwise) and the bl**dy government of the time thought it was awfully clever getting industry to fund research. Ha!
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

But the money had to come from somewhere, and i suspect that pharma can afford to put far more in than the taxpayers could...

Re student funding - I cannot understand why the current system is not completely bankrupt...

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah(sjc) View Post
    But the money had to come from somewhere, and i suspect that pharma can afford to put far more in than the taxpayers could...

Re student funding - I cannot understand why the current system is not completely bankrupt...
    Yes, but they want something with a practical application to arise out of research and they want research to provide money making discoveries not just discoveries for the good of mankind or the advancement of science. They should never, never, never have this amount of power in the academic sphere, ever.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

I'm not bad thanks Sarah.
    Not really unwell but not quite back to normal. I wonder how much of the way I'm feeling is down to the fact that I've ben stuck in doors for a week. I've got no taste but I've got a decent appetite. Just don't know what I fancy.

Could be being stuck indoors or could be the virus, I guess - when are you allowed out?

If you can't taste anything, then just go for simple foods, i guess - little point in making stuff you can't taste. It does come back (according to Prince of Wales, anyway...)!
    Or mess around with textures - you could freeze yogurt, for instance?
    Last edited by Sarah(sjc); 9th November 2020 at 05:29 PM.

Good idea about the frozen yogurt. I fancied ice cream the other day but had non in. It was the cold I fancied. I can taste sweet and salty but nothing more than that. Really been craving potatoes. I’m nervous of having soup because I seem to be so sensitive to too much veg and I don’t want to add further problems to my woes. It’s odd that even when you can’t taste anything you still fancy certain things.

I can go out after Wednesday.