Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New alcohol guideline for Australai

Default New alcohol guideline for Australai

Saw this in my news feed today. Not sure if the UK ones have changed as well.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/life/well...ol-guidelines/
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

Interesting thanks RM but nothing’s been overtly announced here yet that I’ve seen - although it is early. Don’t people tend to ignore the guidelines anyway?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Callie View Post
    Don’t people tend to ignore the guidelines anyway?!?
    Yes.
    Sue - the first "no thank you" is the easiest

I’m just about nanny-stated out....

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd_Alto View Post
    Yes.
    . . . and probably for good reason, Sue.

Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

It is still quite dark here, so I hope my picture shows up well enough.

They say a standard “glass of wine” is 100ml, so I put 100ml of water in one of my ordinary wine glasses to see what we are talking about. The glass is less than half full, and even if you allow some “space for the nose” (and we rarely have wine of that type of quality anyway) the natural inclination would be to pour twice that amount.

And then don’t get me started on the current guidelines in England where men can have 21 units per week and women can have 14 units per week. This is a one size fits all policy which takes no account of the individuals involved.

The best guidelines if there have to be any would be Zoe’s one on phase 3 cheats “Not too much and not too often” and like Zoe’s recommendation should also be applied to sugar consumption and industrially processed foods.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilli View Post
    It is still quite dark here, so I hope my picture shows up well enough.

They say a standard “glass of wine” is 100ml, so I put 100ml of water in one of my ordinary wine glasses to see what we are talking about. The glass is less than half full, and even if you allow some “space for the nose” (and we rarely have wine of that type of quality anyway) the natural inclination would be to pour twice that amount.
    It’s 125ml, I think? But it looks lost in a large glass! I switched to a dinky old fashioned wine goblet a long time ago, but it’s still barely half full with 125ml

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah(sjc) View Post
    It’s 125ml, I think? But it looks lost in a large glass! I switched to a dinky old fashioned wine goblet a long time ago, but it’s still barely half full with 125ml
    Sorry, I was unclear. The article in Rosemary’s post says a standard measure is 100ml for wine and 285ml for full strength beer (whatever that means!) which is about half a pint.

No-one is going to limit themselves in the way suggested which means that everyone who pays any attention to the guidelines has a guilty feeling and sense of failure overlaid on every occasion they indulge in an alcoholic drink. It sets everyone up to fail and that is very bad psychology.

The obvious answer to the drinking question for those who are not declared addicts is occasional periods of abstinence but that does not seem to get any airtime in the guidelines.

They'd love me...100ml is what I poured into my dinky wine glass last night...x2. Really, it's just enough to know I've had some, and I'm quite capable and happy to have more.
    What you say about setting people up for failure is so true...very much like calorie counting.
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.