Thread: I'm concerned about use of pesticides following departure from EU

Default I'm concerned about use of pesticides following departure from EU

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/ne...d-by-eu/09/01/

Whatever your stance on Brexit I hope we can all agree that we don't want more nasty pesticides on our food. Gove made various claims about Brexit allowing us to improve our agriculture. Please consider signing

I would happily sign but I can’t see how in all the advertisements.

I am particularly worried about neonicotinoids which are about to be licenced for (at the moment) some very rare plant conditions.

Neonicotinoids kill bees by damaging their central nervous system. The effect is a bit like sudden severe dementia for the bee which can no longer find her way back to the hive or perform her usual tasks effectively.

Without the pollinating insects food crops will fail.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

Having now followed your link HC, I see that they are proposing to use it for sugar beet. This is excellent news! We can kill the bees first and then slowly poison the human population with sugar.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

Club Member

The Government is also going to change the way farmers are paid subsidies now we have left the EU.

There is to be a seven-year transition plan announced by the environment secretary, George Eustice. It switches the money, currently £2.4bn a year, pumped into farm support from merely subsidising an industry to safeguarding the countryside and supporting good food and animal welfare. The plan is going out for consultation, it will face a hundred reservations, but freed from the EUís longstanding, anti-conservation agricultural policy it is in the right direction.

Several farmers in the village have been talking about it.
    Last edited by ChristineJ; 11th January 2021 at 08:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilli View Post
    Having now followed your link HC, I see that they are proposing to use it for sugar beet. This is excellent news! We can kill the bees first and then slowly poison the human population with sugar.

like it Gilli

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineJ View Post
    The Government is also going to change the way farmers are paid subsidies now we have left the EU.

There is to be a seven-year transition plan announced by the environment secretary, George Eustice. It switches the money, currently £2.4bn a year, pumped into farm support from merely subsidising an industry to safeguarding the countryside and supporting good food and animal welfare. The plan is going out for consultation, it will face a hundred reservations, but freed from the EU’s longstanding, anti-conservation agricultural policy it is in the right direction.

Several farmers in the village have been talking about it.
    Finally some good news, if it happens. I have my doubts as don't trust the current government with anything but we will see. How that will fit with any trade deal they do with the states which will inevitably lower food standards I don't know