Thread: Giles Yeo on how our genes can make us fat

Default Giles Yeo on how our genes can make us fat

Giles Yeo on how our genes can make us fat The Life Scientific

Giles Yeo talks to Jim Al-Khalili about the powerful influence our genes have on how we put on weight, and why many of us struggle to lose it.

Worth listening to though I'm not convinced there is much we can do to regulate gene mutations. Giles Yeo doesn't talk about the role of the gut microbiome in relation to gene activation nor the way vitamin d status may modulate gene expression and the gut microbiome.

The section where he mentions the pig breeder still doesn't answer the "chicken egg what comes first" question as to whether pigs that have the fat promoting gene mutations may also have different gut bacteria they inherited along with the genetic mutations.
    Last edited by TedHutchinson; 26th January 2021 at 09:58 AM.

Thanks Ted! - Bookmarked for later on!
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

This is the most recent paper Giles has his name on.

Behavioural and neurochemical mechanisms underpinning the feeding-suppressive effect of GLP-1/CCK combinatorial therapy
    These studies revealed behavioural, neurochemical, and molecular mechanisms involved in the integration of two gut-derived peptides that produced enhanced appetite- and weight-suppressing effects and demonstrated the value of a novel approach to identify central druggable targets involved in the integration of combinatorial therapies.
    I can see that is where the money is to be made but it would be better if we didn't have to rely on drugs to reduce appetite.
    Last edited by TedHutchinson; 26th January 2021 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TedHutchinson View Post
    ... it would be better if we didn't have to rely on drugs to reduce appetite.
    I concur wholeheartedly!
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

Yes, I caught this on the radio this morning. Very interesting about leptin, and gene mutations preventing the correct assessment of leptin levels.