Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More meat is bad for the planet propaganda

Default More meat is bad for the planet propaganda

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...fe-says-report

I totally agree intensive factory farming is a cruel way to raise livestock, but this seems to be throwing the baby out with the bath water.
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

It’s not so much the meat is bad for the planet that annoys me, as the ‘agricultural monoculture is the way forward’ idea. There is no indication where the nutrients to grow healthy plants come from, or the water to sustain them. With climate change, one thing we really need to do is to protect our soil - think 1930s dust bowls and consequent hunger. Almonds are replacing oranges in California to feed the almond milk demand - and that is leading to erosion on a large scale, never mind the volume of water it requires. At least from animals you get liquid output!

Sacred Cow should be obligatory watching/reading in all schools.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

I’m not sure I even believe the figures. 80% of global agricultural land uses for raising meat?

And much of the grazing land is totally unsuitable for arable farming. I'm thinking of the hills around Rawtenstall and where you live, rough grazing for sheep but nothing else.

North York Moors, Dartmoor, Exmoor, Lake District, Bodmin Moor need I go on?

The animals grazing in any of these upland pastures is not “using” water in the way that arable crops do. They are a conduit the water flows in and out on the same land. The faeces builds the soil structure.

Modern agriculture, plant growing, depletes and destroys the soil.

I cannot read the guardian article because I will become angry and this should not be an emotional issue, it should be a factual one!
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

Couldn’t agree more with your last sentence - we seem to get emotional about so much these days (and I don’t think it’s lockdown related).

Thanks for posting this. I read this first thing and saw red. I’m not knowledgeable enough to know if the facts are true or just manipulated and mis-quoted. Surely the biggest culprit has to be processed food: from the manufacturing of the actual product, through to the manufacturing of the packaging and the global transport. Our very lovely tenants are rather virtuous vegetarians, buying plant based pizzas etc. having just put out the recycling I see they have eaten mass produced supermarket cakes containing palm oil and hydrogenated fats. And this is superior than my lamb chop because????

Palm oil is incredibly destructive crop, a plantation only lasts a few years and then more land is cleared and orang-utan habitat destroyed, broad acre monoculture slowly degrades top soil until it's only a few inches and the soil is dead. I could go on and on with examples. Grazing animals properly rotated through paddock preserve or restore land.

Quote Originally Posted by roseymary View Post
    Palm oil is incredibly destructive crop, a plantation only lasts a few years and then more land is cleared and orang-utan habitat destroyed, broad acre monoculture slowly degrades top soil until it's only a few inches and the soil is dead. I could go on and on with examples. Grazing animals properly rotated through paddock preserve or restore land.
    Quite...