Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A New Appetite Drug

Default A New Appetite Drug

Oh joy.
    The good news? Participants lost weight
    The bad news? Stopping the drug means the return of appetite...and weight.
    The very bad news...it's a drug. But we knew that.
    It was given alongside advice on diet and fitness...we all know what that was also.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56011979
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

Such a shame.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

I saw that in our press and thought much as you.
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

Why take care of diet if you can pop a pill instead? Sometimes I think we should just get on with what we know to be right and let the rest remove themselves from the gene pool. Life’s too short to try to educate some people!

Club Member

I also saw that and immediately discarded the information.

To change the subject slightly, I have seen a couple of episodes of secrets-of-your-supermarket-food - Sian Lewis (Channel 5), makes my toes curl. She (or the script writers) constantly emphasising low-fat. Last night was about fruit and veg and how to get 5 portions of fruit and veg into a day and importance of fibre.

The best part was when the male present went around Enfield (N/NE London) to Tesco, convenience food shop, local market and couple of other places to purchase the same fruit/veg items to compare prices. The market stall came out the best. Tesco was second as being expensive.

The shame of it is that the fault of obesity is blamed on the weakness of the individual with no criticism of the dietary advice given, or the power of the food-like substances which are so addictive and are why people are becoming obese in the first place.

And popping a pill does nothing to address the underlying issues. So they will end up in an even worse spot when they stop taking it.

Apparently the drug has been around for a while and was originally for diabetics. An Aussie doctor has been using it for a while. I'm not rushing out to get it.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/life/well...20-%2020210212
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

Well. If this had been around when I was a teen or twenty something, almost the only overweight person around - I would have lined up for it like a shot. Like GW and RM I read Slimming Mag from cover to cover and eventually did lose weight by calorie counting religiously - and of course it all returned with dividends. After I turned 30 I got into the F Plan and Pritikin and managed to get to a normal weight and stick to it - but I think the preoccupation with low fat in my last pregnancy didn't do my daughter from that pregnancy any favours.

I hated the way I looked all through college, hated it. Every Monday the same, starting a new diet... well, you all know how it goes.

Anyway I don't blame anyone who goes for this option. Life is short and sometimes the moral high ground is a lonely place to be.

(Oh and I forgot I also took handfuls of laxatives after bingeing - how sad is that?)
    Last edited by 2nd_Alto; 12th February 2021 at 04:27 AM.
    Sue - the first "no thank you" is the easiest

Was discussing a daughters friend last night, does SW. Daughter says if she gets through the day without using all her syns, she is almost compelled to use them to snack before bed. Eats loads of pasta and snacks constantly. It’s so frustrating, but if you suggest giving up carbs, it’s nearly as bad as suggesting amputation of a major limb!