Page 53 of 94 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't Wash Your Hair!

Help anybody!! Since my 13 year old boy has started into puberty he has horrendous dandruff (spots etc. the whole works). He has agreed to not washing the hair for two weeks. Do you think this is the right thing for a teenage boy given they produce so much oil? Do you think it will cure the problem? Is there anything we can use to help it on the way? Thanks

By not washing your hair, you are looking at about 3 weeks before things start normalising. I don't know if you or your son will be prepared to sit it out. TBH I really don't know if it will work or not. It really depends on whether he is happy doing it.
    "Whatever we are, whatever we make of ourselves, is all we will ever have - and that, in its profound simplicity, is the meaning of life." Philip Appleman

I'm guessing here but if he's doing THD with you, I think his results might just be better than if he's eating less well.

When I was going through the oil-slick phase; I just made out I had used hair wax on it!
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

How do we feel about dry shampoo during this experiment? Is that considered "cheating"? Would something that absorbed the oil like that defeat the purpose? even if it wasn't massaged into the scalp? I bought a new dry shampoo yesterday (have usually found such things to be rubbish) and preliminary experiments indicate it may be quite good. Wondering whether I might be able to go a bit longer without washing if I can rub a bit of dry shampoo into my hair to absorb some of the oil.
    3 stone gone forever! Gluten free phase 3.

I think it would artificially dry the hair thus prompting the scalp to produce more oil and you'd never get through the oil-slick phase.
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

I had a feeling that would be the reply! Guess there's no avoiding the oil slick stage with this!
    3 stone gone forever! Gluten free phase 3.

Nope - I think you need to go through it to let the scalp get the message!

Mat is spot on! The natural way to treat oily conditions on the scalp and face is to apply oil, for this very reason!
    "Whatever we are, whatever we make of ourselves, is all we will ever have - and that, in its profound simplicity, is the meaning of life." Philip Appleman

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzi S View Post
    Mat is spot on! The natural way to treat oily conditions on the scalp and face is to apply oil, for this very reason!
    Is the reverse then true? If you have dry skin dont put oils on it? think my skin would crack!!!!!