Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caffeine

That explains a lot!!
    "Whatever we are, whatever we make of ourselves, is all we will ever have - and that, in its profound simplicity, is the meaning of life." Philip Appleman

What about cocoa powder? Should it be avoided? I like to whip some cream with it, just to add flavour, is that a cheat?

It is a cheat as it is packed with caffeine so will raise insulin and all that whipped cream will be stored as fat!!!
    "Whatever we are, whatever we make of ourselves, is all we will ever have - and that, in its profound simplicity, is the meaning of life." Philip Appleman

Quote Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
    As far as I understand it - caffeine will produce insulin like carbs so you shouldn't eat any fats for about 4 hours either side. I can't answer to any benefits due to the buzz but I have read on the forum that some people like their one cup of caffeine coffee a day which apparently can also help those who are constipated.
    Im really struggling to understand the rules of this diet ... so I was having way too many decaff coffees so now only have two/three max, one with each meal but whats this about not eating within 4 hours of fat?? so I can only have coffee with a carb meal then?

thanks everyone

Hiya,

Have you read the Stop Counting Calories and Start Losing Weight book?

It goes into great detail about the rules of the diet .
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

I didn't realise there were any rules concerning decaf. I have it all day long as it's all I drink really. I have it really strong to. I think it's the full caff that's a no no because as you said it raises the insulin.
    The 4 hours rule is for fat and carb meals. Ie there should be 4 hours between a carb and any fat. If your drinking full caff coffee it makes sense to leave 3-4 hour before having a fat meal because of the insulin release that caffeine gives so you don't store fat but I don't think this apples to decaf.
    Hope this makes sense

Coffee:

Strictly caffeine is a no no until phase 3

Decaf is fine in any phase (black in phase 1)

In phase 2 you can drink black decaf any time of day - if you do have milk though, be careful as the carbs can add up.
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

I think the problem was the milk you were having in the decaf coffees , not the decaf coffee itself. If you are having black it's fine anytime.

Sorry I meant to say black decaf all the way.

Yes, the rules are simple, as Mat puts them, but then the implications get complex.

Priscilla was, I think, talking about caffeinated coffee, not decaf. Then the suggestion is that if you have it, it's only with a carb meal, because of the insulin response.

The amount of decaf in a day is based on your personal tolerance, if you can have 10 a day and your health / weight are moving in the right direction, I'd not worry. If you have a problem, it's one of the things to look at.

Then milk in coffee is a whole different thing!

It gets easier, I promise. x
    Find what works for your body. Don't cheat yourself too often or too much.