Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goat's Milk

Blog Entries

Default Goat's Milk

As I suffer from sinusitis especially accompanying colds, it was recommended to use Goat's milk instead of cow's milk due to the lactose. I have only in the last fortnight began the switch-over to Goat's milk - it's a gradual process as my milkman doesn't always have it in stock (supplier problems!). I'm tempted to give up the milkman delivering to my door and buy up cartons from the supermarket at this rate!

Meanwhile, I wondered if Zoe (or Andy) had any comment on using Goat's milk instead of cow's and what, if any, further benefits it had?

Blessings,
    Jenny x

Blog Entries

Becky posted a good one here.

Blog Entries

That is amazing!!!!! I haven't been on here for ages really and have clearly missed a good thread there in October! I am switched now for good to Goat's milk.

How interesting, just had some goats cheese with lunch and it was delicious, now I know how good it is for us I will try and incorporate more goats milk products in my diet.
    Goal weight - 10st 4lbs & to maintain & stop yo-yoing by 1.5 stone!
    1st Feb 2011 - 11st 12lbs
    26 Feb 2011 - 11st 2lbs

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Wren View Post
    That is amazing!!!!! I haven't been on here for ages really and have clearly missed a good thread there in October! I am switched now for good to Goat's milk.
    Welcome back Jenny - It is good to hear from you!
    Phase 3 43lbs Lost - forever. 6 inches gone from the waist! And I can get my wedding ring on my middle finger!!!!!

Blog Entries

I cut right back on cow's milk when I started THD, and started making my NLY with goat's milk. My skin has been much better than in times past (eczema). I have been having cow's milk on my muesli/porridge for a couple of weeks with no ill effect. I think it's a coincidence that a cold turned into sinusitis last week - or was it??????! Hmmmm.

Blog Entries

I'd say not as cow's milk can cause excess mucus that can easily block sinuses!
    Phase 3 43lbs Lost - forever. 6 inches gone from the waist! And I can get my wedding ring on my middle finger!!!!!

Blog Entries

Just one note of caution from Zoe's summary of the milk options -

Goat’s Milk:

Pros – is often easier to digest than cow’s milk, because the fat globules are smaller. This can help with intolerance (fewer people are intolerant to Goat’s than cow’s milk).

Cons – it is approximately one and a half times the price of cow’s milk, more difficult to find and it has a slightly salty taste. More serious nutritionally is the fact that it contains a substance that binds with Vitamin B12, which prevents this being absorbed by the body (B12 is the only vitamin that is only found in animal foods and vegans therefore must take it in supplement form). Goat’s milk is also not suitable for toddlers, as the nutritional balance is not right for them.
    See my Visitor Messages for more about me & My Album for photos

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mat View Post
    I'd say not as cow's milk can cause excess mucus that can easily block sinuses!
    I'm not sure about this one at all. Would like to see some papers on it. Most I can find so far debunk it. The closest I've got say that it can cause problems if sinuses are already inflamed. Certainly not going to stop me starting my alternate carb breakfasts again soon - with milk. Will be interesting to see what happens to my sinuses!!

My NLY, although made with goat's milk, is started with cow's milk yoghurt - but maybe yoghurt has different properties to milk in this context?

My sinus problems 15-20 years ago I'm sure were caused by the school caretaker where I worked not actually cleaning the school, but instead spraying the place with a disinfectant which is now a banned substance. Some of my books only stopped smelling of the stuff about 5 years ago. Poor kids.

Hope you see some improvements on the goat's milk Jenny.
    Last edited by fidget; 17th February 2011 at 07:01 PM.

Blog Entries

I think it is more if you have an intolerance than in general (furious back-peddling there.. )