Thread: Do you soak ham/gammon before cooking?

Default Do you soak ham/gammon before cooking?

I don't normally but the last 2 gammon joints I've had have been very salty so I think I may start doing so. Wondered what other people do when cooking a gammon joing. If you soak in water prior to cooking, how long do you soak for?
    3 stone gone forever! Gluten free phase 3.

Blog Entries

Yes - overnight. I don't cook it very often but I had a vague memory that was what my Mother did (although she didn't cook it often either !).
    46 pounds lost - See my Visitor Messages for more about me & My Album for photos

I have usually boiled/simmered a joint for 1-2 hours-depending on weight. Then I'd bake it in the oven.
    Now-on HD-I do it in the slow cooker.

Blog Entries

I soak smoked ham/gammon joints but not unsmoked.

Soaking overnight should make a difference - or during the day if you want to cook it in the evening.

Blog Entries

I know that Sian soaks her bacon overnight to get rid of the salt!
    Phase 3 43lbs Lost - forever. 6 inches gone from the waist! And I can get my wedding ring on my middle finger!!!!!

Blog Entries

You should also skim off the scum that rises as the water comes to the boil.

Blog Entries

Have never done this before with bacon or gammon but might give it a try & see what happens.

I always soak it al least overnight and then I boil it for about 20 mins to the half kilo and about 20 mins extra in clean water with a bay leaf, some black pepper corns and an onion studded with a few cloves. When its cooked, let it cool a bit then take the rind off, score the fat, fub with a bit of mustard (and a touch of honey for those who still use it) and put in a fairly hot oven till it browns. It never fails to be gorgeous cooked this way and I've been cooking it regularly for years (its a favourite in our family)

Right, I'm going to soak the next one. It's unsmoked gammon from asda extra special range and usually I just stick it in the oven (no boiling) and it comes out lovely. But the last one was really salty and this time round I bought one from Sainsburys containing dextrose by mistake (won't buy that again) and it is terribly salty too. I'm not sure whether it's that I'm eating more per meal or what, but the first few I had didn't tastle too salty and that's one of the reasons I stuck to buying that particular one. One day I had just ham with a little mayo and small amt lettuce for my lunch and I could barely eat the ham due to the salt.
    3 stone gone forever! Gluten free phase 3.