Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Veggie Phase 1

Default Veggie Phase 1

Hello everyone! I'm new, have just posted quickest on intros, but need advice from experienced people on Phase 1!

I'm a vegetarian so obviously have no problems with salad and veg but to date (Day 3) have only eaten the Yog and eggs as 'proper' food. I was wondering what else I can eat during Phase 1? I've read the post about Quorn and Tofu being acceptable as either fat or carb - but does this apply in Phase 1 too? It seems so cruel that the meat eaters can have so much variety at the start!

It's possible that the answer is in the book but i only ordered it on Sunday... Should have got the e book instead!

Thanks in advance for any help and support you can offer.

Hi Hodge welcome to the forums.

With regard to the Quorn - it is basically mushrooms which can feed candida - This is why they are not allowed on phase 1.

Unfortunately 'lack of variety' is one of the prices paid for not eating meat.

At the risk of provoking ire, Are you a vegetarian for moral reasons or just that you don't like meat?
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

Supermember 2010-14 hattie the cattie's Avatar

Welcome to the forum Hodge, you are nearly through Phase 1 and after that you will have a lot more choice.
    See my Visitor Messages for more about me & My Album for photos

Zoe was a veggie when she wrote the book and the diet, so she does cover vegetarian options quite a bit in the book, with suggested meals etc. It's a shame you are not expecting the book until after phase 1 is finished. Some suggested meals for phase 1 are:

scrambled eggs/omlette/NLY/brown rice & stir fried vegetables/porridge with water/crudites/hard boiled eggs/brown rice salad/butternut squash curry/vegetable kebabs with brown rice

As HTC said, you are nearly done now but please read carefully in the book about quorn & tofu - Zoe does explain it quite a bit, and good luck!
    "Whatever we are, whatever we make of ourselves, is all we will ever have - and that, in its profound simplicity, is the meaning of life." Philip Appleman

Welcome to the forum and good luck with this tough phase 1. If I were vegetarian I would rely on a lot of brown rice with veggies to keep me going along with the eggs and massive amounts of salads. It's such a pity you don't eat meat (I don't intend to offend you!) as it's really nutritious and way more filling than any vegetable on the planet. I hope you make it through phase 1 without suffering too much. Good luck and keep posting!

Definitely try the butternut squash curry - a great phase 1 meal and veggie. Not met anyone yet who didn't like it.

http://www.theharcombedietclub.com/f...ash-meat-Curry
    3 stone gone forever! Gluten free phase 3.

I made the curry last night and it was lovely... Just glad to have it confirmed as phase one.

@Laura and @Mat: it's taste and moral reasons and I could never go back. I tried eating fish while pregnant and just couldn't chew them enough to actually swallow them!!

So, a bit more egg and salad and yoghurt then...

If anyone's still watching the thread: I'm off to an Indian restaurant on Thursday (been booked for ages) and I'm going to eat something even if it means starting this again... Was intending to have veggie curry with no rice..... In theory okay? I suppose it's ghee rather than olive oil... I can't not eat anything!!

Thanks for the welcome and help, I really appreciate it.

If it's taste then nobody can do anything about that.... if it's moral and if you feel like it I would suggest reading The Vetarian Myth by Lierre Keith who was a vegan for 25 years. It's a tough read (for what is says not how it says it - it's actually written beautifully and simple enough for everybody to follow!) and it might tick you off terribly, but trust me, it's really worth reading.
    What ever you eat you are super welcome to the forum and I can't wait to read about your progress. I am sure others will be able to tell you which curry to chose which is as phase 1 as possible! In any case just enjoy it and maybe add a couple of days to your phase 1 schedule! If you can just avoid alcohol, soft drinks and puddings, and you should be fine!

Hiya Hodge. Indian food is usually a good choice for THD and as a veggie, I'm sure you'll have pleanty of choice. Just be aware of chickpeas and lentils because they are carbs and if cooked in a curry with ghee it would be mixing.

Supermember 2010-14 hattie the cattie's Avatar

Ghee is fine - any vegetable curry should be OK, just stay away from the obvious carby things like rice & nan and pulses.
    See my Visitor Messages for more about me & My Album for photos