Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Phase 1 Recipes

Amina
    Visitor

Hi,

Leaving you all with 2 wonderful curry recipes by Anjum Anand:

1. Chicken Korma

2. Panjabi Lamb Chops

Btw, you don't need to add any coconut cream, nuts, garam masala or sugar. Adding an extra onion often makes the curry a little sweeter. (Go easy on the cloves & black peppercorns - don't add too many!)

Best Wishes

Mmm, thank you Clueless. I love Indian food. I will be cooking the lamb chops (can't do the korma unfortunately as am avoiding dairy altogether). I wish you well on your weight loss journey! x

Amina
    Visitor

Thank you Sian,

Btw, be cautious of the huge black cardamom pod, I personally find it very strong and prefer using the smaller green cardamoms instead.

It turned out lovely anyway and my children loved it.

Take care & best wishes!

Thank you for the recipes I love curry mmmmm I wish you well with your weight loss xx
    Melissa - Fell off the wagon- trying to get back on track!!

As we're talking curry - can someone please tell me the difference between Coconut milk and coconut cream - I live in the Middle East and can't seem to find Coconut cream anywhere. Is Coconut milk off limits?! I love curries too!! x

Hi splodge.....in most shops you can find tins coconut cream...also coconut powder, milk etc..Sorry I dont have one at hand to give you the name...but they are out there! danube, panda, sawary.....coconut milk is watered down version of the cream..less taste.

sue x

Thanks Sue, obviously not looking in the right place - Carrefour only seem to have milk and the ingredients list was full of nasties! Will try Danube.

Hope your holiday was good, great to have you back x

Amina
    Visitor

Hi Splodge,

Coconut cream is usually packaged in a small rectangular box, whereas coconut milk is inside a can (UK). I am sure they sell it in UAE, Riyadh, Saudi, supermarket shelves esp where they sell Asian spices.

However, I don't think you can have too much coconut products in Ph1.

Although I use coconut cream for Kenyan dishes, like the fish curry, I left it out for this one and it turned out fine.

In most Indian/Pakistani curries you do not need coconut cream, even for this curry (chicken korma) as Anjum suggested in the video, you can leave it out.

Amina
    Visitor

You're welcome Melissa!

Here's the method for making chapatis which you can have with your lamb chops (instead of a pizza! In fact this will be more, healthy & filling and keep you satiated for hours.

I tried to find a video on youtube for a basic chapati but it was hopeless. I think it's quicker if I gave you the instructions here.

Chapatis:

If you're making it for the first time, you can get a small bag of chapati whole wheat flour (1kg), quite easily from any asian store. Make sure it's "Medium" whole grain and not white.

Put some of the flour in a (plastic) bowl (as much as you think you will need), and add water to it. Mix it with your hands until it forms a ball and then start kneading.

If the dough is too sticky you need to add a little more flour, if it is too tough then add a little more water, keep kneading and turning it over until the dough is elastic and does not stick to the bowl. When you have finished kneading (doesn't take more than than 10-15 min) You can leave it for a while, which will help the chapati to fluff up when you're cooking it.

To cook it we use a 'tawa' or a flat iron cast pan, but you can also use a medium-large non-stick frying pan, on low-medium heat.

Simply take a small amount of dough and form a ball (as you would with play dough), and then roll it out with a little flour, on a clean smooth surface with a rolling pin. You need it to be rolled very thin, less than 1mm thick. Don't worry about the shape whether it's round, square, oblong, appears like map of England, etc. as after practicing a few times, I'm sure you'll become an expert.

Take the rolled out chapati on the palm of your hand and 'slap' it on to the med-hot frying pan, let it heat up for a few seconds and then turn it on the other side and use a tea towel to gently press on the chapati and move it around. Cook one side first (till it has light brown spots on the underside) and then turn once more on the other side and do the same. Take it out and and put it in a plate or in a round (oblong, triangle, whatever) bread basket. You can add a dash of butter on top ofthe chapati, if you wish but it's not necessary....and don't throw it on the floor or fling it over & behind the cooker as I've done in the past, the birds will be only too happy to eat it.

Chapatis are quite easy to make (quicker, cheaper, healthier and far more better than buying food from the take away) - requiring no yeast or fat and are very filling. However being carbohydrates, for efficient weight loss I would recommend that you eat more salad with your curries and do not have more than 1 or 2 chapatis per day.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy having curries this way.

Best Wishes xx

hi splodge....i think you have the susans mixed up...sadly i havent been on holiday yet!!! still here. Hope you find the coconut cream??

sue x