Beware! This is no ordinary chocolate egg. But if you want to seriously impress your guests at a dinner party over Easter then this is the dessert to serve them.
It’s a serious treat with as little sugar as you can possibly get in such an indulgent dessert.
Serve at room temperature with double cream.
You’ll never look at a Cadbury’s cream egg again.
Two halves of a high cocoa content egg shell (Hotel Chocolate, Green & Blacks or similar)
225g chocolate with 85% cocoa content.
60ml of a cup of black coffee (decaffeinated ideally)
2 eggs – very fresh
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons of dark rum
240ml double cream (suitable for whipping)
1) Separate the egg yolks and whites. Put the yolks in one mixing bowl and the whites in another.
2) Using an electric whisk beat the egg yolks until they are mixed. Continue whisking for approximately 5 minutes, or until the yolks turn pale yellow.
3) Whisk in the rum and vanilla. Leave to one side for a moment.
4) Break the chocolate into squares and put it into a saucepan with the liquid coffee. (Literally make a cup of coffee and measure out 60ml of it). Stir together, over a low heat, until all the chocolate is melted.
5) Add the melted chocolate and coffee to the egg yolks, rum and vanilla mixture. Leave to one side.
6) Clean the whisk beaters thoroughly and then start to whisk the egg whites. Gradually add in the 2 tablespoons of sugar to the egg whites and whisk the whole lot until stiff peaks form.
7) Fold the egg white mixture gently into the mixture of egg yolk, rum, vanilla, chocolate and coffee.
8) Using the empty egg white mixing bowl, whip the cream until just stiff and then add this to the other ingredients. Fold everything in together to mix it thoroughly and then pour and spoon the whole lot into the chocolate egg shells.
9) Place in the fridge and leave for at least 2 hours (it can be made the night before and left for 24 hours).
This is best served at room temperature, so get the mousse out in good time before dessert.
Serve with double cream and strawberries.
Strictly Phase 3