• Categories

• Club Members Area RSS Feed

Published on 2nd November 2015 07:41 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Newsletter-Dieting,
    3. Newsletter-Health

Low fat diets – better than nothing?

The World Health Organisation (WHO), meat and cancer was today’s note, issued early because it was so topical. I’m delighted to say that the Mail on Sunday gave me the opportunity to share much of the note in this article – many thanks to Barney Calman. I also got a mention in Oliver Thring’s very informative article here. I didn’t know that one third of the WHO review group did not support the findings!

1. Categories:
    2. Videos-Conferences

Dr Robert Cywes shares his fascinating insights into the psychology of addiction form the perspective of a surgeon..
    To view full screen, just click the little icon at the bottom right hand corner of the video

Published on 27th October 2015 06:30 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Newsletter-Health,
    3. Newsletter-Bad Science

World Health Organisation, meat & cancer

Yesterday, 26th October 2015, the World Health Organisation declared the consumption of red meat as “probably carcinogenic to humans, based on limited evidence that the consumption of red meat causes cancer in humans” and declared processed meat as “carcinogenic to humans, based on sufficient evidence in humans that the consumption of processed meat causes colorectal cancer.” The red meat association was observed mainly for colorectal cancer.

Published on 26th October 2015 07:46 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Newsletter-Health,
    3. Newsletter-For Thought

Sugar tax – what and why?

Last week’s news has been full of stories about a sugar tax. A report from Public Health England (PHE) was due to be published on 17th July 2015. A report emerged last week, but the circumstances were confusing. Public Health England had filed the report in July, but conspiracy theories were running wild about its non publication. Executives from PHE were summoned to appear before the Commons Health Select Committee to give evidence about their findings. The Guardian described the report as leaked. Other articles noted that evidence from the report was given to the Health Select Committee and therefore effectively published. Whatever happened, the report can be seen here.

Published on 19th October 2015 07:21 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Newsletter-Conflicts

What happened to a dietician who saw the light

This week, we have a guest post from an Australian dietician called Jennifer Elliott. Jennifer has become well known this year, in the diet and health on line community, for having been de-registered by her professional body: the Dieticians Association of Australia (DAA). Her case has led to the DAA taking the extraordinary position that “Nutritional advice to clients must not include a low carbohydrate diet…” Even more extraordinary when you discover that Jennifer’s advice was being given in the context of insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes and she was merely suggesting that people with an inability to handle glucose/carbohydrate (i.e. diabetics) may benefit from consuming less of it. Here Jennifer shares her story, with links to her blogs, for those who would like to know more.

In Jennifer’s own words…

“I have been a dietitian for 35 years and for over 10 years have recommended carbohydrate restriction to clients with type 2 diabetes (T2D) and insulin resistance (IR).

Published on 12th October 2015 07:32 PM
    1. Categories:
    2. Newsletter-Conflicts,
    3. Newsletter-Health,
    4. Newsletter-For Thought

Three revelations about statins

I posted last Monday’s note about National Cholesterol Month as a blog and it has already been shared more than any other blog I have written. It also attracted many blog comments, which fall into three main categories:

i) I had no idea that there was any alternative view on cholesterol and this has been enlightening.

ii) I had become aware that there is significant debate about cholesterol and I don’t like statins and this has reinforced my view.

iii) I’m on statins and I’d like to stop, but my doctor is scaring the life out of me that I will die of a heart attack if I do.

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    Single Sign On provided by vBSSO