Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couscous

antsmummy
    Visitor

Default Couscous

Hi, what exactly is couscous?! Is it a grain? And therefore a carb? I went out for lunch today and had tuna steak with salad (asked for dressing on the side and tasted it and didn't like it!!) but it came with Israeli couscous (I don't know what made it Israeli!)
    I only ate half the couscous as I'm avoiding carbs but didn't want to leave all of it (still got the spotless plate mentality!) but now my stomach is gurgling like a good un!!
    Had some peppermint tea earlier and might have some more now, I don't feel unwell just gurgly and really full, even though I ate 3 hours ago!
    Another one to cross off the list I guess!
    Hope everyone's having a nice Sunday x

Supermember 2010-14 hattie the cattie's Avatar

See [URL="http://www.theharcombedietclub.com/forum/content.php?236-Is-wholemeal-couscous-the-same-as-the-stuff-I-normally-buy-in-supermarkets"]here[/URL] for the FAQ on couscous.

It's wheat so definitely a carb, having it with tuna is mixing. It's OK as part of a carb meal as long as you aren't intolerant to wheat (lots of people are).
    See my Visitor Messages for more about me & My Album for photos

antsmummy
    Visitor

Damage limitation was not eating it all I guess, and gurgling is cos it was wheat..... Lesson learned, thank you!!

I used to like cous cous too!
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

I've always hated the stuff.
    "Whatever we are, whatever we make of ourselves, is all we will ever have - and that, in its profound simplicity, is the meaning of life." Philip Appleman

Presumably the tuna was very low fat so it wouldn't make too much difference to your weight loss.

I have only just realised it was wheat too!!

Quinoa tastes very similar but is much better for you, apparently it is a puesdo grain! had it out for lunch on friday and tummy was absolutely fine after it. Am quite excited to have found something else I can eat!

antsmummy
    Visitor

Plenty of green veg with my roast chicken tonight then, try and flush the wheat through, ive heard of quinoa but never tried it, thanks for the tip :-)

Aquarius
    Visitor

quinoa makes a great pilaff with loads of fresh, chopped herbs mixed through.