Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: On a budget

Sunshine55
    Visitor

Default On a budget

My budget is a bit tight and about to get tighter.

Any advice and tips would be welcome. I have been on organic food and free range organic eggs and stuff up to now.

I think sadly this will need to be compromised.

Just buy the best unprocessed food - meat, fish, eggs, salad, veg, NLY that you can.

I know that grass fed meat, organic is best but i am sure that there are many of us on here that can't afford to do it that way.

Look out for special offers - for instance Marks and Spencer have a new policy concerning food waste. They used to sell it off to the staff at the end of each day and then throw what was left but now they want to reduce waht goes into landfill so around the last hour of each day reduce things going out of day quite considerably - you can then get excellent quality meat/fish at great prices and stock up the freezer.

Helen
    x

Hi Sunshine,
    We've just done a project with someone to see how we could feed them on £30 a week, eating 'Harcombe'.
    We (well, Zoe, actually), shopped in Lidl for the basic tinned fish, tomatoes, eggs, vegetables and essentials and bought meat in the butchers. Wk1 bill was £25 and a few pennies.
    It would mean eating the cheaper cuts of meat (liver, rib or belly pork, heart..) but if these are cooked slowly, they are really delicious.
    Interestingly, tinned fish was cheaper in Waitrose than Lidl which was a surprise for us.
    The truth is deafening, no matter how quietly spoken.

I don't have a huge ammount of money & definitely don't buy the best of the best. But i've found that supermarkets like Sainsbury's and Morrisons definitely have better quality meat than asda or tesco.

Morrisons in particular have a really good butchers section - they even sell sheets of pork fat that can be made into crackling - you get loads for under a pound!

[QUOTE=Alix;132516]

Morrisons in particular have a really good butchers section - they even sell sheets of pork fat that can be made into crackling - you get loads for under a pound![/QUOTE]

Yum, skip the meat just a cracking dinner how naughty!!!!

When I discovered it we ended up having crackling with every meal for a few days!

There is a really good pork scratchings recipe somewhere that is good for the Morrisons pork rind!
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

I tend to buy most of my meat from the butchers and if you buy in bulk they offer discounts and then for veg usually aldi or lidl, my local market offers very cheap veg and eggs but I can't always get there.

Just got Jamie's Great Britain book & it has a great recipe there for pork scratchings - will have to try that one out I think!

Deffo let me know how you get on!
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’