Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: On a budget

Sainsbury and Lidl do bacon bits, you may need to check over the packs to see how chunky or like rashers they are but they work out much better value.
    Morrisons sometimes have bacon bits on the meat counter, when they do I usually buy the tray.
    Also don't worry too much about the sell by date.
    I think for stuff like cheese common sense is sufficient to see/smell if it's edible and When it's a mature cheese, that's been ageing for 18months or maybe 3 yrs then an extra few days in your fridge is nothing.
    I also think it's helpful to watch when the last minute reductions occur in your local supermarket and arrange to do your shopping so you're in the store when the bargains are marked down. Although I have noticed that there are fewer bargains and more people seem to be after them but I always check and sometimes hit lucky.
    Quite a lot of stuff can be frozen and used later.
    I agree with the liver idea, very cheap very nutritious and if you don't overcook it, very tasty.
    It's also worth bulk buying staples like onions although you do have to check the price as it's not always the case that bulk packs work out cheaper than items that are on special offer.
    It's also worth asking your local butchers for bones for soup making. While some charge others give them away for free, so check around.

leo1981
    Visitor

Pork belly and pork chops are very cheap at Morrisons and underated. Both are great cooked in the slow cooker.

What are they like cooked in the slow cooker. Because I enjoy the crispiness of them cooked under the grill. Just about my favourite fast food now!

I buy meat when it’s reduced or on offer and freeze it. I bought a large bag of parsnips that were reduced to 19p, totally nothing wrong with them, I made curried parsnip soup which was delicious. I generally make a batch of soup every week. I buy tinned fish such as mackerel or sardines and often take these to work to have with a simple salad. Belly pork is the favourite and not expensive.

[QUOTE=TedHutchinson;132748]
    It's also worth asking your local butchers for bones for soup making. While some charge others give them away for free, so check around.[/QUOTE] I was so thinking of asking our local butcher who recently I've really got into, for bones but wasn't sure if they might think I was just being weird. I especially want beef bones to make good meaty stock. We'll see.

Don't know what I've done there, I don't know how to take little bits of quotes obviously. Ho hum.

[QUOTE=hattie the cattie;132701]I cooked a gammon in the slow cooker yesterday. Once it was done, I cut off the fat & skin & cooked them in my halogen oven for approx 30 mins @ 200. It was so good it was indecent.[/QUOTE]

What a good idea. I've taken note of it Kate, thankyou.

Supermember 2010-14 hattie the cattie's Avatar

The quote thing isn't working in the Open Forum at the moment.

@Trish, I did my belly pork slices in the slow cooker rather than normal oven for the first time last week, didn't really like them very much. Very soft, I definitely prefer the crispiness you get when done in the oven.
    See my Visitor Messages for more about me & My Album for photos

Forum Guest

Don't want to question people's actions on buying meat when on a budget...but, the cheap chicken thighs and drumsticks etc may possibly have been pumped full of antibiotics,water etc etc, let alone farmed quite intensively....chicken is the one mass produced meat that I'm a bit wary of, whereas in this country we treat our pigs,cows,lambs quite well.Danish pigs, however, are treated very badly....I do try to buy free range eggs and chickens , especially after seeing Hugh F W 'chicken out' programmes and campaign a few years ago. But I know it's more expensive...

SuzieW
    Visitor

What is classed as the Open Forum?

SuzieW
    Visitor

I do the belly pork very very slowly and all sealed up in tin foil - then bung it under the grill for 10 mins or so to crisp up the skin - it works well