Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Harcombe after 2 years on Dukan

Default New to Harcombe after 2 years on Dukan

Hi Everyone. I'm a Newbie and have been stalking site for the last two weeks. A little info about myself. I'm 57 (groan) and Scottish and up until I was 47, I had no weight problems at all. If anything, I was underweight. (8st 7lbs) However, over the last 10 years my weight has just crept up and up until I reached 11st 7lbs.(I'm 5'7") No matter what I tried, I just could not shift it more than 7lbs. I tried WW but I was always hungry on their plan. Nearly two years ago, I embarked on the Dukan Diet and lost 22lbs within the allotted time (12wks). It was tough, there's no doubt about that and there are many still trying to get to their target weight nearly two years on. Dont know how they do it, three months was more than enough for me. I finished all the phases, but I'm finding my weight creeping up and to be honest, the thought of doing pure protein days again, fills me with dread. There is a 'Breakaway Group' from our own Dukan Forum and we're all giving the Harcombe diet a go.

I finished phase 1 with a 4.5lbs weight loss and I was delighted. I did not start phase 2 cautiously enough and enjoyed the freedom of the food that we can eat on it. I slipped up a couple of times as I getting to grips with it. My OH and I went to someones house for dinner and had beef stroganoff with noodles (I didn't want to be rude and ate half of the noodles) Then they gave us apple pie with icecream. Nothing I could do about that unfortunately. The rest of the week went ok but I think I probably had too much cream with my berries (I'm over that now). I was very nervous using butter/oils and only used a small amount. I had a cheese omelette and felt very naughty. What I loved was that I was totally satisfied after eating and did not want to eat inbetween meals. (a first for me). However, I am a day away my weigh in day and I had a wee sneak at my weight today and I find that I'm 2.5lbs up from last week. I felt that I had put on weight as things felt really tight even though it's only 2lbs.5. and I'm gutted. I'm going back to phase one on Sunday. I just want to know - Is it possible to eat too much fat. Also another question Can we eat butternut squash curry on a carb day (with the coconut milk).

Sorry for my 'blethers' Hope you can make something of it. (I do have the book, but I've lent it out)

Supermember 2010-14 hattie the cattie's Avatar

Welcome saramac,
    I love the idea of a dukan breakaway group !

You're probably not eating too much fat, it'll just be a change from Dukan. The BNS curry is fine for a carb meal, you don't have to do carb "days", you can have as many or as few carb meals a day as you like.
    See my Visitor Messages for more about me & My Album for photos

Hi and welcome. Is this your first week on P2? If so I think the slips may have effected your weight.

The mention of "carb day" in your post caught my eye. You can eat both fat meals and carb meals on the same day as long as you leave 3-4hrs between a carb and a fat meal so you can have bns curry any day

Try not to worry about the gain as I'm sure it will come off again soon if you take a step back and rather than go back to P1 how about P2 but with only introducing one food per week. I know it is very tempting at the beginning of P2 to have everything but it makes it more difficult to work out what, if any food we have intolerance/difficulties with.

Please post and ask as many questions you feel will be helpful.

Oh I'm also Scottish.

Welcome saramac. I think the hardest part for newbies is forgetting everything you've already been told about "good diets and healthy eating" and to completely trust THD. It can seem too good to be true after years of low fat/low calorie eating but if you follow the rules and give it a chance it will work. Also another difficulty for many is ditching the scales. I know its a way of life for some but if you can try not to weigh very often and try not get hung up with the daily/weekly fluctuations that can occur. Try and think of it long term.

Welcome to the forums!!

I think The Harcombe Diet is a great one to come on to after Dukan. It should help you maintain your weight if you are at your natural weight in a healthy and enjoyable way. Some great advice has been given above, particularly about not reintroducing too many foods at once. I would make little tweaks from week to week so that you are aware of what is causing you problems.

Thanks very much for your responses, I'll take it all on board. Sorry, I did actually mean to say 'carb meal' rather than 'carb day' and I also wasn't sure about using the coconut cream in the curry to use as a carb meal.

Welcome to THD!
    "Whatever we are, whatever we make of ourselves, is all we will ever have - and that, in its profound simplicity, is the meaning of life." Philip Appleman

Forum Guest

Welcome

welcome to the forums!
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’