Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin/mineral alternatives for Depression/anxiety

Registered Guest

Default Vitamin/mineral alternatives for Depression/anxiety

Morning

It is almost a year since my mom passed away from a brain tumour and I am really struggling. I have been ill with one thing or another since running
    the Windsor half marathon last September.

After two rounds of blood tests ,ten days ago I was finally diagnosed with having extremely low levels of Vitamin D. My Dr said to take 5000 units for 5 days then to reduce to 1000 units a day. Ted posted his opinion on Vitamin D at the very time I started the course so I have stuck with a 5000 unit capsule since. Work stress, grief, feeling poorly has finally taken its toll on me and I am struggling to cope at all at the moment - the slightest thing irritates me, I am tearful, angry, lethargic - basically a nightmare to live with!!!!

I am flying back to South Africa on Friday for a week for a memorial service for my mom. I have not seen my family since mom's funeral last March.

Something POSITIVE - I have managed to stick to THD since the 1st of Jan - the candida monster is being defeated at long last. I honestly can't ssay that I feel any better for it - perhaps I am having MEGA DIE OFF. Howie, pls bag some of that energy and send it my way. I also had my first grief counselling session yesterday and have booked a back massage for Thursday afternoon.

PLEASE HELP, I am feeling desperate.

Jacqui

[QUOTE=Jax1967;140074]Morning

It is almost a year since my mom passed away from a brain tumour and I am really struggling. I have been ill with one thing or another since running
    the Windsor half marathon last September.

After two rounds of blood tests ,ten days ago I was finally diagnosed with having extremely low levels of Vitamin D. My Dr said to take 5000 units for 5 days then to reduce to 1000 units a day. Ted posted his opinion on Vitamin D at the very time I started the course so I have stuck with a 5000 unit capsule since. Work stress, grief, feeling poorly has finally taken its toll on me and I am struggling to cope at all at the moment - the slightest thing irritates me, I am tearful, angry, lethargic - basically a nightmare to live with!!!!

I am flying back to South Africa on Friday for a week for a memorial service for my mom. I have not seen my family since mom's funeral last March.

Something POSITIVE - I have managed to stick to THD since the 1st of Jan - the candida monster is being defeated at long last. I honestly can't ssay that I feel any better for it - perhaps I am having MEGA DIE OFF. Howie, pls bag some of that energy and send it my way. I also had my first grief counselling session yesterday and have booked a back massage for Thursday afternoon.

PLEASE HELP, I am feeling desperate.

Jacqui[/QUOTE]

Maybe a good probiotic multi vitamin would help? I also take vitamin B supplement a they helps with my pmt bad moods. Think I will be rattling soon with all the pills!!!!

Aquarius
    Visitor

Oh Jacqui my love what a hard time this is for you.

(((((((((((((((((((huge hugs)))))))))))))))))) and I am sure seeing your family again will help. And this anniversary will be the last of that awful first year of anniversaries without your mom.

I hope the Vit D works for you but I am sure the counselling and pampering and a hugs from your family will also work some wonders for you.

Much love xxx

Losing a parent gives your body a terrible shock. Its not all emotion its physical too. Be kind to yourself. Wishing you peace and tranquility and good health.

Oh hun i know how you feel, i have lost both my parents to cancer and am still struggling. Lost Mum in 2000 and Dad in 2004 but went the medine route as i really couldnt cope after my dad and was put on citalapram. have been on it ever since and it does help. if you can avoid it though i would and try something natural a i now cant get off it as i get angry and very disorganised but not depressed which is odd! As the others said Vit D is meant to help and Vit B but have you tried herbal stuff like St Johns Wart and Rescue Remedy etc.. i went to see a herbalist guy who gave me a spray that i sprayed in my mouth everytime i got angry or upset which worked but then i was put on the meds so forgot about it. being kind to yourself and surrounding yourself with friends helps, dont know where i would have been without mine. i am sorry to hear how your feeling and i know you wont believe me, but it does get easier to cope with.

if ever you want to chat pls feel free to email me on [email protected] or PM on here.

Big hugs xxx

I think everyone who has suffered depression will understand what you are experiencing with "Work stress, grief, feeling poorly has finally taken its toll on me and I am struggling to cope at all at the moment - the slightest thing irritates me, I am tearful, angry, lethargic - basically a nightmare to live with!!!!"

While I'm pleased you are sticking with the 5000iu/daily D3 I think it is only one of several potential strategies for helping to prevent or treat depression. I've found my depression has been made bearable by doing everything possible to reduce inflammation. Most prescribed antidepressants work (if they work at all) by reducing inflammation in the brain (which explains why many double as treatments for chronic pain) so it makes sense to deal with inflammation at source by reducing the inflammatory nature of the foods you consume (lower refined carbohydrates and omega 6 vegetable/seed/grain oils) and to ensure you don't have any deficiency states in natural anti inflammatory reserves.
    OMEGA 3
    So alongside the Vitamin D3 I feel it is useful to use OMEGA 3 fish oil as concentrated a form as you can afford or obtain.
    I've used Omega 3 Triple Strength 1000mg 330mg + EPA 220mg DHA= 550mg omega 3. So 3 of these daily provide a substantial 1650mg omega 3's. these are from Simply Supplements that are pretty cheap and will give you a guide price to beat if you can. Using the cashback site Quidco gives a further 15% cashback from all sales. without the cashback they are (240) 14.99 =0.06p capsule

Holland and Barrett (10% cashback from Quidco) have concentrated fish oil capsules in their penny sale BUT contain only 300mg omega 3 per capsule so although you can buy 250 Capsules1000mg Sale: Buy One Get One For A Penny so total 500 capsules Now: 19.99 Buy 2 For 20.00 so you would need to take 2 to better each Simply Supplements and even with the virtually half price offer they still IMO are not such a good buy.
    Don't be ticked into buying anything with omega 6 or omega 9 in them. The omega 6 is pro inflammatory so counter-productive and the omega 9 your body makes itself, it's the omega 3 you need to supplement with because modern foods have less than previously.
    Holland & Barrett - Omega 3 Triple Strength Fish Oil Capsules (1360mg) Buy 2 For 17.96 120 capsules 14.9p capsule for 950mg omega 3
    So taking 2 daily of the Simply Supplements provide more omega 3 (1100mg instead of 950mg) but at 12p/d instead of nearly 15p/d.

MAGNESIUM.
    Magnesium is in short supply in modern foods (changes in plant breeding/farming1970's onwards) and we need about half as much magnesium as calcium, (which is readily available for those who have NLY daily or cheese/dairy fish etc)
    Magnesium is used to counterbalance the actions of calcium.

Calcium tenses muscles and excites brain neurones.

So when you raise your calcium absorption (increase vitamin d) or food calcium intake (calcium supplements or foods) and you don't similarly increase magnesium you feel tense and edgy suffer cramps and poor sleep.

Magnesium relaxes muscle fibres and calms nerves.

Mostly the adverse effects people report on taking vitamin D in effective amounts result from the exposure of underlying magnesium deficiency.

Most adults consume roughly HALF the current RDA for magnesium. So most of us benefit from taking an EFFECTIVE amount of a form of MAGNESIUM that is easily absorbed. Unfortunately most of the magnesium at H&B and Simply Supplments is MAGNESIUM OXIDE and we know only 4% of that is absorbed so basically it does more harm than good. (unless you want a laxative as the unabsorbed magnesium attracts water and makes stools softer) The Magnesium Citrate H&B sell would be OK as would the Magnesium Bisglycinate (chelate) caplets but these aren't in the sale and so not on offer cheap. You can buy cheaper Albion Patent Mineral magnesium chelates from the USA discount providers that are more reliably absorbed and used.
    Start with 100mg with meals and build up to 100mg with each meal and before bedtime. 400mg daily.

MELATONIN
    Melatonin is a much underrated hormone and most of us go don't have subdued light before we go to bed, we go to bed too late, we have too much artificial light in the bedroom (digital displays, street lighting) and so we don't get sufficient melatonin nor sufficient good quality sleep.
    A time release melatonin supplement from 1mg up to 5mg before bed and again as you get into bed will make a huge difference.
    It's a powerful anti inflammatory and also works as a neuroprotective agent.
    While you can't buy it over the counter in the UK you can import from those USA discount providers and it's very cheap.
    Vitacost Melatonin Time Release 5 mg Plus B6 -- 100 Tablets Vitacost Price: $3.77
    Melatonin may take a little getting used to so take it easy at first and build up your usage over time using lower strength or splitting the tablet. (you may get vivid dream initially but unfortunately these seem to have worn off)

PS I should perhaps have pointed out that the low vitamin D3 status and the running (and the pre training required) cause sweating, while you are outside in the sun creating vitamin D you are also sweating, sweat contains body oils and these bring the fat soluble vitamin D to the surface of the skin and while some will be washed/towelled off, much will be degraded by UVA into suprasterols the body doesn't use so of no benefit to us. Most outdoor athletes will become vitamin D deficient despite spending a long time being active in the sunshine. Also running in towns/urban environments increases particulate exposure which combined with the stresses of city life increase cortisol which depletes Vitamin D3 levels. That's apart from the fact that less UVB penetrates to ground level in urban atmospheres.

pps I should also have explained that these extra supplements are additional to and work in conjunCtion with the Vitamin D3.
    The omega 3 DHA actually works partly as a Vitamin D receptor ligand so it's physically helping Vitamin D function as it should tha't in addition to it's work in resolving inflammation.
    I've explained how Vit d raises calcium absorption and magnesium counterbalances the effects of excess calcium uptake but magnesium also works as an anti inflammatory agent. The omega 3 also increases ability to produce melatonin. My point is that they should produce better results compared when all are taken rather than just taken as individual items. They are also meant for long term use. The effect of vitamin D, omega 3, magnesium is cumulative and by the third year the effects should be more pronounced. The melatonin is a more short term item which is why you need the Time Release/sustained release forms It's half life is just 40mins so every 40mins it 50% less.

Registered Guest

Thank you all for your support!! Ted, that is fantastic advice. I usually take melatonin to help me sleep on the plane but will stock up when back in SA.

I will keep you posted.
    Thank you again
    Jacqui

There is a link between high levels of cortisol and homo-cysteine levels and we can reduce homo-cysteine with b vitamins so maybe we should also consider a good B vitamin complex.
    Emily Deans has a post that discusses the issue
    http://bit.ly/xfK1ZN
    Are Obesity, Diabetes, and Serious Mental Illness Related?
    High homocysteine, sign of malnutrition, is common to many illnesses.

The time to intervene with any mental health disturbance is before it becomes entrenched and turns into a really serious problem.

Hope you get time to soak up as much sun as possible in SA but don't get sunburnt.

Registered Guest

I was considering having a course of VIT B injections (ouch) in SA as well.

[QUOTE=Jax1967;140374]I was considering having a course of VIT B injections (ouch) in SA as well.[/QUOTE] While I know many people swear by B12 injections, there is plenty of evidence that oral Vitamin B-12 (as Methylcobalamin) is as effective. Sufficient is absorbed (if you use a sublingual or spray or drops) through the tissues in the oral cavity, under the tongue to be effective, so do try these first. All B12 has to be converted to the Methylcobalamin form before we use it so starting with the active form removes unnecessary obstacles. Most of the B12 in multivits is the inactive form and while many people will manage on that (and it can reduce homo-cysteine levels) you may find you get on better with the active form.