Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Can we have a deep and meaningful on Harcomne and HRT??

Just to stop those ladies who havent yet reached the menopause being frightened out of their wits by this thread. I went through the whole thing without any symptoms other than irregular periods (much to the chagrin of some of my friends) so its not a forgone conclusion that you'll get all the awful ones. My mother had to have her womb removed when she was in her thirties but never went through an obvious menopause either so maybe you do follow your mother Lizzi.

Indeed

lots of folk can just sail through the menopause, we're all different. Just need to look at how differently we all respond to THD to know that all our bodies process things in different ways.
    ~ Catherine ~ Made in Scotland.

I must admit I have been scared witless by this thread! My mother had a hysterectomy at my age (37) and has been on HRT ever since so I don't really know what I'm in for. I'm definitely interested in trying any alternative approaches first and then if it is still unbearable, I wouldn't rule out HRT but would have to have ruled out all other options first.

I'm sorry that this thread's been scary reading for you, I totally understand where you are coming from.

I stuck my tuppence worth in mainly because while it's ok for folk to say that HRT is only postponing the inevitable...or that menopause is "natural" and HRT shouldn't be taken because it's "unnatural".....claims that it causes certain cancers and does a lot of harm is even more scary to hear. So many people don't do enough research of their own and can be misguided by all the horror stories that appear on t'internet. They forget that it's generally only horror stories that you do hear and none of the good ones. Because for the many millions of people that HRT works very well for....these folks are just enjoying getting on with their lives and living every moment. They've perhaps not realised that by not "reporting" back how well they're doing on HRT, the balance has tipped with all the scaremongering and many unsubstantiated claims.

Believe me, nobody was more sceptical than me when it came to the matter of HRT and indeed I did try various other methods before I gave in and practically begged the doctor to give me it after I had refused it for many months. Whilst some folks can actually store estrogen in their bodies for a long time after menopause, therefore reducing severity of symptoms etc....others find that there are no reserves to draw on and the effect that can have on areas of your body, can at times be very severe.

I tried herbal stuff, creams, lotions and potions. Even a daft magnet thing that you clipped to your underwear. I spent a fortune and lots of time looking into other methods. Whilst I was wasting time with all that....actual physical problems were becoming worse and too much to bear. So then I went in the complete opposite direction....I spent all my time researching the different sorts of HRT's...the different routes of application...the dosages....user reviews. You name it, I looked it up. I actually choose the HRT i'm on just now...the dosage that I wanted and the route I wanted it to take...because by the end of it all I was more in the know about the various brands, and methods than our locum GP was. My lady GP was on maternity leave and I had to take my chances with the locum male doctor who was more embarrased than me by our frank discussions. He gave me free rein with choices...allowing for a bit of tweaking...and I really haven't looked back.

All I'm trying to say is that many women will suffer in silence either due to embarassment or because they are swayed by outside opinion. Sometimes the symptoms and problems of menopause can be so severe that your sex life can be finished forever or you can end up with bladder control issues that are never rectified. Let's not kid ourselves here that menopause only means hot flushes even though nobody wants to talk about all the other crappy parts of it. And even though I apologise here for "scaring" anyone...it's a real and actual scenario and one that many women end up living with for the rest of their days. I respect everyone's right to decide whether they want to to go down this route or not....but I also want them to know that they don't have to "suffer" their way through the menopause because they are too scared that they will "get cancer from taking HRT" and end up living half a life in fear and discomfort. Yes it's not for everyone...but be informed and look after your own needs and ignore the opinions of others.
    ~ Catherine ~ Made in Scotland.

Well I still get regular periods so it looks like I'm a way off it yet. Don't us women get a bad rap for the "honour" of being able to have children? I haven't even had them so I'm suffering for nothing.
    "Whatever we are, whatever we make of ourselves, is all we will ever have - and that, in its profound simplicity, is the meaning of life." Philip Appleman

At least you can't catch a cricket ball in the plums!! - The pain is indescribable!

Yeah yeah - Childbirth etc...
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

Well I'm sure having a baby is worse Mat - wait for the deluge of unsympathetic women!!
    "Whatever we are, whatever we make of ourselves, is all we will ever have - and that, in its profound simplicity, is the meaning of life." Philip Appleman

Hence the wink
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

Thanks for that Wee Rascal - it has been interesting to read as well as scary! It is best to be as informed as possible as you say and to weigh up all the options. I have no idea how I'll be during menopause so will just have to see at the time. Like the pain of childbirth, menopause tends to be something no one really talks about so it's refreshing to hear some views about it!

Looking at it from an outsiders point of view, as I've never done either (had the menopause or had a baby), it's weird how with the amount talking women do, they talk the least about the only things that make them different from men!