Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Budgeting and low carb life

SuzieW
    Visitor

oh WOW - thank you Gardeners, by their very nature, give inspiration to one another irrespective of ability - it's a growing (groan) community

lol...

[QUOTE=Mat;150830]Which car boot's do you frequent?

I'm in Nottingham![/QUOTE]
    There's one in calverton and also in tansley on a Sunday am.ic Saturday is good there's one in chesterfield near the twin oaks b&b that's at 12 which is huge and the guy on there does some amazing Scottish steak.
    Used to get around 10-11 steaks for 20.never bothered with the chicken legs but you can bet I will now lol
    Twin oaks should be on tomorrow

Sunshine55
    Visitor

I think some of this is that food has increased incredibly over the last 3 to 4 months for every one.

I like 'good' meat as well, but it is now a pay off. Good non hormone meat cannot be got cheaply.

I am shopping in Aldi for much of the time and they are great at providing British food. They have organic british chickens for 4.99 atm. I then joint them.

We are a family of 3 adults all out of work. Only one on benefits. One on maintenance from an ex H. Money is tight, but there are no extra's like chocolate.

We have stopped all tv access by sky, stopped tv licence. Now pay 6 a month to netflix which provides us with enough entertainment to not want to hire or buy DVD's.

Petrol is our main issue, so a weekly shop to Aldi. I have found all of their named, but not well known products are really good. Their veg stays fresh.

I cannot find celeriac cheap anywhere Howie, but farm shops are very elitist round here.

Interesting point, every one must be on a budget the cars in the Aldi car park are no longer the 'R' reg but the '06' '09' type.

Also we were being treated to a Harvester meal yesterday. In the car park, 3 x '11' audi's,a lexus and two '11' very flash low looking beamers.

MrsBergstrom
    Visitor

I buy bargains or discount when ever I see them and every couple of weeks or so I live out the freezer till its all used up. I still possibly spending as much over a month put some weeks I have more cash spare. But food has gone up, I hate the roll back to a 1 campaign specially when you know it used to cost 80p a month ago. I use Lidl a lot and try all their advanturous meats like spring bok etc when their on offer. I must say I haven't had to buy a pain killer for a long time now so here's to health.

OK - after my adjustments to where I buy my veg - making my own yoghurt (which unfortunately didn't turn out as nice so had to be binned), just generally shopping around and really planning our menus to a millimetre of their lives - my new spreadsheet shows that I have spent 30 less last week than the week before. I'm on target to spend considerably less this week may be 100 less - so that means that my new average over two weeks (this week and last) will be 90 per week including everything not just food (medicine for kids, silly bag for me that I couldn't resist - chocolate - naughty!) Meat is scheduled to be the biggest expense, but I suppose to get what you pay for. I saw in Lidl that they have free range chickens for 4 something. I mean, they wouldn't be lying, would they? In that they are not free range? The cheapest I've seen is 6.99 at my butcher's. If I can keep it to 90 for the 4 of us (2 adults, 2 kids), I think that's reasonable. One of the bigger savings was no alcohol. I've decided if we buy booze it has to be out of our own money, as this is purely a luxury and should not be counted with household expenditure. But then again, so should chocolate. Look, if you won't tell the old man, I'd be very grateful.
    Last edited by woolly; 13th March 2012 at 03:56 PM. Reason: misspelling

[QUOTE=woolly;152569]OK - after my adjustments to where I buy my veg - making my own yoghurt (which unfortunately didn't turn out as nice so had to be binned), just generally shopping around and really planning our menus to a millimetre of their lives - my new spreadsheet shows that I have spent 30 less last week than the week before. I'm on target to spend considerably less this week may be 100 less - so that means that my new average over two weeks (this week and last) will be 90 per week including everything not just food (medicine for kids, silly bag for me that I couldn't resist - chocolate - naughty!) Meat is scheduled to be the biggest expense, but I suppose to get what you pay for. I saw in Lidl that they have free range chickens for 4 something. I mean, they wouldn't be lying, would they? In that they are not free range? The cheapest I've seen is 6.99 at my butcher's. If I can keep it to 90 for the 4 of us (2 adults, 2 kids), I think that's reasonable. One of the bigger savings was no alcohol. I've decided if we buy booze it has to be out of our own money, as this is purely a luxury and should not be counted with household expenditure. But then again, so should chocolate. Look, if you won't tell the old man, I'd be very grateful.[/QUOTE]

Well I think you are an amazing budgeter woolly. Wish I could get somewhere near that figure, I tracked food shopping for about 6 weeks and got it down from over 200 a week to about 130, for 4 of us.

I just always seem to need to go to the local shop for something which ends up being 10 things!!!

Everything is just so expensive unless you eat carbs!!!!

[QUOTE=candy46;152570]Everything is just so expensive unless you eat carbs!!!![/QUOTE] I completely agree with you there, Mrs. That's why I shout at the tv when an advert for Subway sandwiches comes on saying that you can a sarnie, a drink and something for 3. I shout, "yeah, your paying 2.50 for a huge roll! The filling is about 30p and the drink 20p!!". Then nurse, comes in and tells me to get back in bed and stop scaring the other patients, I mean guests

I'm not a great budgeter really, but was forced into it by my husband going on about how much I'm spending. It was quite scary. As I'm not working, we just don't have any other income coming in and I sort of know I should try at least to be more canny.

Woolly which supermarkets do you use most?

Well, I'm now getting most of my veggies from Lidl. I wish there was an aldi nearby because apparently they do organic chickens cheaply, I read on here the other day. Meat from the butcher's which is a bit more expensive but has no additives in the bacon/sausages but other meat/poultry, fresh fish and ham from Sainsbury's just because it's nearer and I find the meat selection a bit rubbish at my tesco. But perhaps I should give it another go and try and have a few more turkey meals. A few little bits at waitrose - particularly own brand wash tabs/conditioner and boots for nappies. Buying vitamins out of my own money from boots and online.