Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Slog

Default The Slog

Hi everyone,

I'm nearly 6 weeks into my second attempt at THD. The first one ended on honeymoon last August, I never got back into it when we came home and by the end of December I'd put on a STONE

I know that sugar is my main problem and I've not had any for 40 days now. I took off 3lbs before restarting THD and have lost a further 9lbs since, so I'm only 2lbs away from my wedding day weight and 4lbs away from my original target weight of 9st 7lbs, however there still seems to be a fair bit of wobble going on in various places, so I'm heading towards the lower end of the healthy BMI range with a new target of between 8st 7lbs and 8st 12lbs.

However, I'm looking at about 6 months of Phase 2 to do this and I know that there are going to be times when I struggle to stay motivated. I've been doing really well so far (actually went on holiday last week and only cheated once - and my stomach immediately told me I shouldn't have!), but I'm worried that in a couple of months' time when I'm fed up with only losing 0.5lb a week or stalling completely, that I'll head for the ham and cheese sandwiches again or, even worse, Tesco bakery cookies!

How do you guys keep yourself motivated when it's no longer new and shiny and all feeling like a bit of a slog?

Thanks,
    Caroline

Ghent, Belgium (born USA - UK nationalilty through marriage)

Hi Caroline and welcome to the forums. You are doing great but you will just have to accept that the closer you are to your natural weight, the slower the weight comes off. As far as the wobbly bits go, most people recommend Pilates or light toning exercises.
    Keeping motivated - well that is different for everyone and I am probably not the best person to advise you as I tend to go off the rails. Gain a kilo and then go back on and lose the kilo. I am probably at my natural weight although if I did a strict, keep 100% to the rules phase 2, I am sure I would lose a bit more. The thing I have learnt though is that I will never go back to my bad eating habits for more than a day or so at a time. I know how to rein myself in and I am happy with that. Each person has to find their level of contentment.
    So keep with it, the Tesco bakery cookies are EVIL but a good rib eye can't be beat!

Welcome, Caroline! Slog is the right word. I'm finding it a slog too at the moment but am trying to be very strict with myself for a few days. I had started Phase 3 but clearly allowed myself too much leeway. I've decided I must not give up. This forum has helped so much and hearing about other people's problems with yo-yoing is a useful warning.

Looking forward to hearing about your progress.

Supermember 2010-14 hattie the cattie's Avatar

I don't think of it as a slog - it's just the way I eat. Make sure you're eating food you enjoy rather than things you think you ought to because you're on a "diet".
    How can a way of eating where you can eat as much good food as you like be a slog ?! Stick with it long enough & you will start to think the same way.
    See my Visitor Messages for more about me & My Album for photos

Thank you both Another 0.5lb gone this morning, NLY for breakfast and we're going out for dinner tonight for the first time in ages so I'm going Phase 3 and will mix carbs and fats for my evening meal, but will stick to a starter and main course only, no sugar. We live on the north coast of Scotland and the chef only uses locally sourced fresh ingredients, so no worries about accidentally eating anything processed.

After that, I think I should be able to stay on the straight and narrow until the wedding we're going to at the beginning of June - and the meal for that is a hog roast, so if I just eat meat and salad and avoid the bread, I don't even need to cheat

[QUOTE=hattie the cattie;167399]I don't think of it as a slog - it's just the way I eat. Make sure you're eating food you enjoy rather than things you think you ought to because you're on a "diet".
    How can a way of eating where you can eat as much good food as you like be a slog ?! Stick with it long enough & you will start to think the same way.[/QUOTE]

Ah, see, that's the problem - foods I enjoy = crisps, chocolate, biscuits, cake, ice cream. Anything that doesn't give me that sugar/carb buzz I'm really not that bothered about and now I've lost the sugar craving I'm really spectacularly uninterested in what's on my plate. It's a shame, because my husband is a fantastic cook.

A typical day's food for me is either NLY or oats with hot water, cinnamon and strawberries for breakfast, either hummous & salad-stuffed pitta bread or a mozzarella, ham and olive salad with a little olive oil dressing or a ham and onion omelette for lunch and whatever my lovely other half decides to do for supper minus the carbs (he cooks from scratch every night, nothing processed). I try to eat one carb and two fat meals a day.

[QUOTE=hattie the cattie;167399]I don't think of it as a slog - it's just the way I eat. Make sure you're eating food you enjoy rather than things you think you ought to because you're on a "diet".
    How can a way of eating where you can eat as much good food as you like be a slog ?! Stick with it long enough & you will start to think the same way.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with Kate!

Good food = good health! Nuff said :-)

Don't even think of it as being 'ON' a diet, as that gives impression that you can come 'OFF' it! It truly is a healthy way of eating for life.

Ruthie
    Last edited by princesspentium; 4th May 2012 at 10:49 AM.

Hi Caroline,

Firstly awesome news about your loss so far. I think the way you can stay motivated is to always remember where you have come from. It can be difficult to remember how rubbish it is but as soon as you dare to eat sugar or something that used to be your vice your body will remind you with a bang!!!!

Also, this forum is invaluable for helping with motivation and words of encouragement so make sure you post and get the support you need.

Good luck and keep us posted

Becci and all the others are right, think of it as a way to eat not a "diet", I won't even call it a diet when I'm thinking about it.

And stick with this forum, and talk to it and everyone on it - they'll keep you going!

Good luck and stick with THD, and remember how awful you used to feel before.......!

Hi Caroline - i'm at my natural weight (9st7ish - 5 foot 5) and have been there for about a year now - I still have wobbly bits and have come to accept that I will never look like models in magazines.

I have, however been able to tone up a little bit by doing a pilates DVD a few days a week.

Your natural weight might well not be where you want it to be to look good in clothes unfortunately.