Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunflower Oil

justine in zim
    Visitor

Default Sunflower Oil

Hi guys - my apologies if you feel this has been covered before - I've searched the forum but none of the current info seems to definitively answer whether or not sunflower oil is Harcombe friendly or not? There is a brief mention of sunflower oil being a healthy oil in SCC but not really in terms of Harcombe foods. On the forum discussions most of the posts seem to say either 'well I supposed sunflower oil would be okay until you can get olive oil' or 'why not just use lard'? Well, my problem is that since starting THD I have been using a LOT more olive oil and it is very, very expensive where I live so this is starting to be a bit of a problem, and I haven't yet been able to find lard [NB I live in Zimbabwe - please don't tell me it's 49p in LIDL ;-) ]. I have started using more sunflower oil recently, and you know what, it tastes REALLY good!! lol!!! Nicer than olive oil for frying or roasting, I think?! But I am curious to know whether it actually is THD friendly and if not, why not????

Many thanks as always to all you THD gurus out there!!

Sunflower oil is fine as far as I am aware.

I think some schools of thought think it is a little too processed but many Harcombers use it for Mayo so I think it will be fine

One problem is the factory processing of the various oils and another is the imbalance in the proportions of omega3 and omega6 when using the different oils. (Ted has made comment on this, sorry I don't know where to find it)

If you buy fatty meat - pork, beef, chicken etc -, it is worth saving all the dripping to use for frying.

I think order of preferance is:

dripping / lard / butter
    Olive oil
    Sunflower oil

justine in zim
    Visitor

thanks all - I think I get it now, we don't LOVE sunflower oil on THD but it's the lesser of other evils where necessary! I forgot to mention that dairy, and especially butter, doesn't seem to work with me - though will continue looking for lard and try and work out the dripping thing because it sounds like a delicious way to cook!!!

http://www.soyatech.com/sunflower_facts.htm

Key sentence
    Physical pressing of the sunflower seed with subsequent hexane extraction of the remaining oil in the meal
    Followed by
    Deodorization

It's the hexane extraction that bothers me.
    I'm not sure any food is enhanced by
    first soaking in a petrol derivative
    then evaporating off the petrol and
    then using a deodorant to mask any remaining hint/taste of petrol.

If your source of sunflower oil is COLD PRESSED and doesn't use the Hexane Extrtaction/deoderization process then it should taste yummier and be healthier.

However that is apart from the fact that Sunflower oil is a high source of omega 6
    Chris Kresser explains in this post

How too much omega-6 and not enough omega-3 is making us sick

http://chriskresser.com/how-too-much-omega-6-and-not-enough-omega-3-is-making-us-sick

I'm not sure if you've tried sourcing/using red palm oil or coconut oil these MAY be a cheaper alternative but do try them first before bulk buying as some people find them an acquired taste (though that may be because they cause a certain amount of pathogenic gut flora die off so once they've cleaned out the bad guys (candida, h pylori) you find you can enjoy using them.

If you are getting a lot of omega 3 from other sources and if your source of Sunflower is local cold pressed (not industrially processed) then maybe it's not too bad in limited quantities. Be interesting to know what alternative oils you have available so that we could suggest which has the least omega 6 or most omega 3/9
    Last edited by TedHutchinson; 1st June 2012 at 02:16 PM.

Can you get organic coconut oil? That's another excellent alternative to olive oil.
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

[QUOTE=justine in zim;176280]thanks all - I think I get it now, we don't LOVE sunflower oil on THD but it's the lesser of other evils where necessary! I forgot to mention that dairy, and especially butter, doesn't seem to work with me - though will continue looking for lard and try and work out the dripping thing because it sounds like a delicious way to cook!!![/QUOTE]

I think that sums it up pretty well! We canīt always do everything perfectly but we do the best we can with whatīs available and affordable.

For cooking, however, try to use lard or dripping (and keep saving and re-using them) as oils are not as stable when heated to high temperatures.

justine in zim
    Visitor

Okay, am going to see if I can get cold pressed sunflower oil or coconut oil - though I suspect they will work out just as expensive as olive oil!!! I use quite a lot of oil in cooking so I am keen to find an alternative after reading through the links from Ted (thanks for taking the time for such a comprehensive response!) - I may also chat to my butcher about lard, as that would be great! ... and I'll look into dripping, but I'm not quite sure how to get started - wouldn't you need lard to start with for your roasting or frying in order to get good quality dripping? Otherwise it's going to be mixed with sunflower oil? Or is that okay?!