Thread: Cheat night- fact or fiction??

Default Cheat night- fact or fiction??

On Twitter I follow a few fitness trainers/personal trainers.
    they do mainly promote high protein low carb diet.
    But, most of them do suggest once a week you have a cheat meal, where you can eat whatever you like as long as you have been good all week. They claim this boosts metabolism.
    Does anyone know any more about this?

I'm wondering if its a way of rewarding people for being good and stopping them from feeling their depriving themselves and maybe keeps them on track the rest of the week?

What do you guys think? Im a bit scared to try it but maybe it would fit in with Phase 3?

You can eat what you like on Phase 3, so it's really a matter of finding what works for you individually. I personally slide very easily into wanting sugar, so I don't really have cheats that would set off the cravings again. If I need a food reward I try to find something THD friendly and gorgeous. But it depends very much on your attitude and discipline. Definitely something I would not advocate while trying to lose weight.

I think it's a good idea, if you're on Phase 3 and if you know you wont s l i d e back into previous ways. And if it works for you. Great !

I have to hold my hands up and admit that I had a cheat night (well an afternoon really) right through phase 2 and it never stopped my weight loss (it may have slowed it down but I'll never know that and at the time I was more than happy with the speed of things) As a family we always have happy hour on Sunday afternoon when we get together for a drink and nibbles. For me that is usually a couple of drinks and the nibbles can be anything but usually kettle chips, olives, anchovies, feta cubes and that type of thing. I was very strict the rest of the time. Its very personal and not something I would advocate for everyone. For me, allowing myself a bit of something never leads to cravings or bingeing so maybe thats the difference.

I was always under the impression that if you ate the same foods your body would get used to them and plateau, which I suppose is the basic idea of the cheat meal, but whether you eat something different or something bad - well thats up to you lol. I dont think I would get away with doing it every week thats for sure. Jo

I cheat most Saturday nights or should I say every other while we are away.its usually something like 85% or a packet of walkers salt your own crisps,but that is damage limitation for me as my OHfollows THD all week then cheats Friday and Saturday with basically the same as me.
    I don't find it hard the next day as I've planned this and get back on with my good days.if I have gone mental with TOTM issues in the past it's always carby stuff but this month I plan to have a 30gm 85% with me.
    It does push my system back into losing but I must say I want to enjoy life losing weight and. It get hung up on it.the scenic route is ok by me as long as I don't gain.

In the past if I've plateaued for a few weeks and then had a day or two of semi-bingeing, the following week I've always lost a couple of pounds more - I can believe in the theory that it tricks your body in some way. This has happened to me several times. Our bodies are always trying to maintain the status quo, so I believe that if we surprise them from time to time that can help.

I think that if we can do "normal"things once in a while it would be really good. Its as Zoe says, dont cheat too much, dont cheat too often. I have been on my course today and yesterday. I think that my brain was litterally asking me for some sugar. I dont usually even think about something sweet, but both days I have really felt I needed something sweet. So gave in and had a two finger kit kat. I felt all right, and will have it again tommorrow while there. But then I,ll call a halt. My brain is not used to having to work so hard. And I believe that it demands about 70% of our energy.

Well I was out all day shopping. I had bacon & egg at 6am and from 9am-4pm I had 3 medium soya decaf cappuccinos and altogether went through 60g 80% chocolate. I'm on TOTM and my body can't seem to get enough of the stuff. I had dinner at 7pm - salad and tinned salmon and have just eaten another 40g 75% chocolate. I think tomorrow I'd better get back on the straight and narrow!
    "Whatever we are, whatever we make of ourselves, is all we will ever have - and that, in its profound simplicity, is the meaning of life." Philip Appleman

There HAS to be something in us wanting carbs on TOTM I'd love to know what it is,all I do know is that it's not an excuse made by girls.i haven't had TOTM for over 10 years until THD and now I get them..weird and unexplainable.
    Last edited by Kerrygirl73; 23rd June 2012 at 09:51 PM.