Thread: Target weight v. Natural weight

justine in zim
    Visitor

Default Target weight v. Natural weight

I have decided to officially declare Phase 3 as I have been stuck in a plateau for many weeks now after my initial weight loss and nothing seems to work - I am officially in the 'normal' range of my BMI, I feel great and get lots of lovely compliments on my very noticeable weight loss (just over a stone). However, despite all of this I really would have liked to lose another 2kg at least (4.4lbs). Apart from anything else I felt like it would have been nice to have a bit of a 'buffer' so that my current weight (around 10st) would have been my maximum weight if I went up a few pounds rather than having to go up past where I feel comfortable (I find my weight can easily fluctuate by about 2.5 lbs). Since I decided to give up on trying to lose more and try to accept being happy where I am (flabby tum and all!) I've started to notice that quite a few people seem stuck in that trying to lose the last few pounds stage and that people often suggest they are at thei 'natural weight' ... I'd be interested to know how many on Phase 3 actually got to their TARGET weight, or whether we are all just a bit unrealistic with ourseleves ... perhaps, for example, aiming for the weight we were in our thirties now we are in our forties or expecting to be back to our post-baby bodies (as in my case, I expect the flabby tum will be a permanent reminder of my twin pregnancy and c-section!) ... or should I be still holding out for losing those last 4-5llbs!!!

If you have steadied, then maybe add a little exercise to get your metabolism operating at a higher level?? Don't lose heart as you are nearing the finishing line

Dean.

justine in zim
    Visitor

Thanks Dean - I have actually finally started exercising again, but part of what led me to THD in the first place is that the old diet and exercise thing was just not working for me - I only ever lost weight if I managed to do a hectic amount of exercise, which is just not viable for me as a working mum of two four year olds!! However, I have started running / walking again and doing some yoga stretches every week day mainly with a focus on cardio-vascular and bone health and toning than on weight loss - I had gotten to the point before where even with 40 minutes a day of running/walking (it's literally half/half - I'm really no runner!) was making no difference at all with weight loss, it felt mor elike damage control just to not put any more weight ON!!! So it was a revelation when I lost over a stone on THD with NO exercise because of a toe injury coinciding with the start of Phase 1 that meant I couldn't even get my trainers on for 2 months!!

I declared Phase 3 when I got to my target weight and then whilst in phase 3 lost an extra half stone.
    "Whatever we are, whatever we make of ourselves, is all we will ever have - and that, in its profound simplicity, is the meaning of life." Philip Appleman

I find that exercise has never helped me to lose weight, BUT certain forms of exercise, especially pilates, really tone me up and so I try to do a couple of pilates sessions a week (although have failed miserably lately due to a sick child!). I got down to my target weight by sticking strictly to the rules and eating around 20g carbs a day. I'm not saying that is the only way to do it, but that worked for me. I may have reached my target by just sticking 100% to phase 2 but without going as low as 20g carbs, but it would have taken longer and I was impatient! By the way, I ate all fat meals and cut out dairy to reach my goal weight.

I never had a target weight - I just let my body "settle" into what I thought was a good place. I dont hold much store with ideal weights anyway because I've never fitted into them. If I was to be the ideal weight for my height etc. I'd be emaciated and scrawny. I go by how I feel I look and the odd couple of lbs here or there does make any difference to that (imo). Dont forget that exercising can make your weight appear to go up because you are developing muscle which weighs heavier than fat.

justine in zim
    Visitor

Thanks everyone! Lizzi - that's amazing that you lost half a stone after you started Phase 3 - wow! And definitely a point to remember on the exercise possibly causing an apparent gain as it is something I have reintroduced again recently - though for fitness and toning rather than weight loss as I honestly don't think it will make any difference! I really struggle to do all fat meals, I have been trying that recently and find that I just really don't enjoy it, and whatever weight I lose during that time goes straight back on as soon as I reintroduce carb meals. I think I'll just aim for Phase 3 for now, aim to maintain where I am for a while, and then maybe come back to Phase 1 / 2 to try and shift a little bit more in another few weeks or so time!