Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vegan!

Default Vegan!

Hi all. I'm interested in the Harcombe diet as a bit of a yoyo dieter using Weightwatchers and Calorie counting in the past.

How does the Harcombe diet work for vegans? Thoughts?

As a vegan; there are virtually zero fat meals you can have - which means that you will have to base your meals on starchy foods - The very advice that made us fat.

People do seem to do better eating mainly fat meals!
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

It would certainly be a challenge. The thing about eating the Harcombe way is to avoid mixing fats and carbs at the same meal. As your meals would be mostly carb, you would just be eating a low fat diet. You could certainly eat coconut oil and olive oil but not with carbs such as pasta, rice, quinoa etc so really only have oil on veg or salads. Or possibly with quorn or tofu.. It seems very limited but I'm pretty ignorant about vegan diets.

I'm not sure what else you would eat. Nuts and avocadoes which presumably are excellent foods for vegans are not encouraged as they are foods which contain both carbs and fats so are inherently mixing.

Why do you follow a vegan diet? Not criticising, just asking out of interest.

Sue
    Last edited by 2nd_Alto; 21st July 2012 at 09:06 AM.

Your best bet for fat meals would be roasted veg with lots of oils and salads with lots of oils. As nuts and avocados are cheats you would most likely need to take supplements for some things. I was vegan once but kept getting ill so had to introduce fish and eggs. I would also try and avoid too much soy based foods and drinks as it is dangerously unhealthy. You could also try upping the fat by drinking black coffee with a couple of teaspoons of coconut oil in it and I guess once you're on phase 2 you could have the linseed bread with mayo, oils, olives, sundried tomatoes etc.
    "Whatever we are, whatever we make of ourselves, is all we will ever have - and that, in its profound simplicity, is the meaning of life." Philip Appleman

Difficult questions this - as Mat said, people tend to mainly have fat meals. I know vegetarians can follow the diet successfully, and if you´re determined I´m sure you´ll find a way with the help of the forum.

Thanks for the replies. I thought it might be virtually impossible, which is why I asked the question. I'm vegan for ethical reasons.

Aquarius
    Visitor

You could have Butter Coffee made with coconut oil for a fat meal and roasted veggies with good oil.

I think you will struggle to follow the plan to its full potential as a vegan. You won't eat any processed foods or soya. Depending on how much of those you eat now may determine how successful you are.

Give it a go and keep asking questions. I followed a vegan diet for a few months (years ago) and felt great on it - probably the detox effect from a crap filled omnivorous diet previously!!

"You could have Butter Coffee made with coconut oil for a fat meal and roasted veggies with good oil."

Butter coffee sounds disgusting! I've always hated fatty food unless it's deep fried. Both me and my mum get migraines from eating fatty food.

[QUOTE=Aquarius;190703]You could have Butter Coffee made with coconut oil for a fat meal and roasted veggies with good oil.

I think you will struggle to follow the plan to its full potential as a vegan. You won't eat any processed foods or soya. Depending on how much of those you eat now may determine how successful you are.

Give it a go and keep asking questions. I followed a vegan diet for a few months (years ago) and felt great on it - probably the detox effect from a crap filled omnivorous diet previously!![/QUOTE]

I'll probably try the Butter Coffee made with coconut oil especially that coconut oil is one of my favorites too!

[QUOTE=sisterphonetica;190691]Thanks for the replies. I thought it might be virtually impossible, which is why I asked the question. I'm vegan for ethical reasons.[/QUOTE]

Please don't take this the wrong way, but have you read The Vegetarian Myth? Written by an ex vegan who realised that perhaps it wasn't,t so ethical as she thought!