Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 30 Day Blitz-why i'm not going to weigh myself

Ew296
    Visitor

Default 30 Day Blitz-why i'm not going to weigh myself

I think one of the most disheartening things about dieting or eating/living healthier is not seeing the desired results quickly on the scales. Of course this need for instant gratification is why we have all jumped on fad diets in the past. But as we all know, this is not sustainable.

I have worked out that in a month, realistically, it would be great to lose 2kg (approximately just over 4lbs) and so 4lbs over 30 days is about 0.13333lb a day, which is nothing and certainly not detectable on the scales.

I think not weighing myself will encourage me to keep on track because I know with dedication to the plan those 2kg will come off, and if I had a good day on the scales and perhaps had shifted 3lbs (nearly at target!!) but this was due to other natural fluctuations, I may slack off the principles and of course those lbs would come back, and I will probably end up at the same weight at the end of the month feeling frustrated and like I am actually going nowhere!

So not weighing myself I believe, will help me to stay dedicated, because if I don't do things right for 30 days the scales could easily creep up.

Thought I might just put in some perspective to how much weight you want to lose and how this translates to an every day basis. For me, it really helped. One day of good THD eating might constitue to that 0.133333 of a lb but it won't show on me in the mirror or the scales. It is 30 good days of that, that will hopefully get my results.

I also think that it is good to see each day as the first day. We are all very motivated at the beginning, but accrued 'good' days shouldn't allow a pass to slip up. If we see every day like we saw the first, we would all do this no problem.

Any other wise motivations for patient and sustainable weight loss-please post here! I am trying to forget about quick fixes and I know that this is something that will take its time but when it does it will be worth it and I will be much happier!!

Everyone has their own way of doing things, and we each need to learn what works best for us. For me, I am a 'daily-weigher', and in fact I weigh in the morning and then before I go to bed. The bedtime one gives me an idea of what I will likely see in the morning - I usually reduce by similar amounts each night.

What I have found most useful is an app called 'True Weight' for Ipad/Iphone - I punch in my morning weights and it draws me a nice graph - with a good axis on it which accentuates loss :-) I always found myfitnesspal had a graph which depressed me ! Anyway, True Weight draws two lines - one 'dotted' line is the actual weight and another solid line which averages out weight over a week or so. What I find with this is that even if I go up a bit for a day or two (due to eating something which I'm intolerant to etc), then I'm reassured to see that its just a mini blip and that I'm still on downward trend.

I also make sure to focus on achievement rather than what is ahead - I find it much more motivating to concentrate on the pounds I've already lost rather than the pounds yet to loose.

Above all, it only took me a few days for THD to kick cravings into touch and that, to me, was enough of a miracle to realise that THD is for life, not just until my weight reaches a certain number.

Supermember 2010-14 Marie Smith's Avatar

Scales are a double edged sword for many - me included. ZoŽ does say in her new book the Harcombe 3 step plan, that you should only weigh if you are able to distance yourself from the result and not be emotionally affected enough to be spun off track. I've found that measuring my waist is a great way to know that results are occurring without the emotional up and down effect. Hope you have a great July and see those 4lbs gone by the end of it!
    Marie x on my way, size 12's here I come...

Ghent, Belgium (born USA - UK nationalilty through marriage)

I agree that weighing daily, weekly or monthly is a personal thing. I also weigh daily. I like to track it and if I see I have lost a few hundred grams I am motivated but if I see I have gained I get more determined! I then try to pinpoint what I ate the day before to see if I can notice something I may be intolerant to. I have a sneaky feeling my THD friendly chorizo isn't that friendly to me. So everyone must choose and I agree people shouldn't weigh if it is going to upset them or make them think negative thoughts.
    It's when I don't weigh that is bad for me - in other words that usually points to my so-called bad days and I don't want to face up to the damage I have done!

I agree that weighing, and how often, is a personal thing. I weighed myself very rarely during weight loss and now haven't weighed myself at all for about a year. For me it wasn't so much a case of whether I could distance myself emotionally from the numbers as getting away from the diet mentality. On all previous diets I have weighed myself regularly (usually weekly but at one point I did weigh daily), counted and generally analysed what I was eating. It obviously didn't work for me because I never got to a place where I could successfully maintain my weight loss so I decided to take the opposite approach and just accept that this is the way I eat and the numbers will take care of themselves. Now that I'm in phase 3, I don't go anywhere near a set of scales. I got weighed at the hospital a couple of months ago but didn't look at the numbers and the nurse didn't tell me (I didn't ask her not to specifically).
    3 stone gone forever! Gluten free phase 3.

I agree with all of the above and haven't decided what I'm going to do. I might weigh weekly thereby allowing the 'blips' to settle and hopefully see a 7 day loss. I definately 'go off the rails' if I see a gain (I'm on scales that are whole lbs) I get really fed up, so want to try to avoid that mind set over the next 30 days......and beyond obviously

Well, I just weighed myself and am severely depressed! I am 2lbs up after 2 days of the 30 day blitz.
    I think I need to look at other peoples portion sizes, as that is the variable.
    I had dropped all caffeinated coffee the week before starting, in order to get the headache out of the way prior to the start. I rarely touch wheat/oat/potatoes since I realised that they trigger my asthma, wine has recently gone the same way. So the BLITZ was not a sudden shock to my system.
    I walk (not very fast) to my personal limitations, managed on Monday to stay on my feet and keep moving for 1.5 hours.
    I eat generous amounts of green veg - farm bred it's part of my being.
    Losing weight IS my reason for being here, I dread to think that it's back to replacement shakes to succeed.

The number on the scale used to really affect me. If I lost I would feel complacent and cheat, if I gained I would feel despondent and cheat! I don't know what clicked, maybe my decision to really and truly give real food a chance, but in the past month I have been weighing every day and not once has the weight gain affected my mood. I know it sounds mad, but I almost expect it and I just get on with it. On the other hand weighing daily has helped me understand a lot about myself and the food I eat, not to mention that it has spurred me to keep on track and to not give in to cravings (always fewer ad far apart). The number on the scales has fluctuated so much in the past month it's unbelievable, but over all it has gone down by 3.7kg since the 30th of May and this is keeping me very motivated!

Good luck with what ever you chose to do with the scales and don't let the numbers affect you negatively, let your body speak to you! x

Freedom pass - stop weighing so often!!!

Supermember 2010-14 Marie Smith's Avatar

+1 for you not weighing so often Freedom Pass as it obviously is affecting you negatively! Measure instead!
    Marie x on my way, size 12's here I come...