Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Blitz - Day 6

Ghent, Belgium (born USA - UK nationalilty through marriage)

Default The Blitz - Day 6

Today rather than starting this thread from the train, I am lying comfortably in bed. Good morning all.
    Having just read today's mail from Zoe, Andy and Olly, I am not sure how successful I will be with today's challenges. I will manage the walk as I need to go into town today and I will walk. That will be half hour in and half hour back plus the walking around while I'm there. I will try to look for something I've never bought before but I don't have anyone to throw a ball with. I'll have a closer look at the hopping drill and see if that is something I can do, if it won't jar my back too much. (See mail to understand what I am on about).

Yesterday was a good day for me. Kept to no cheats and no snacks. I walked in the morning and lunch time so I think I'll give myself a 10/10. I have yet to fill out the page.

Today we have a lunch out at a restaurant using a Groupon voucher so I don't know what choices I'll have. It is a three course meal at a place I have never been. I have now learnt how to upload photos to the forum using my iPad so I will try to add more to the photo thread. There are some lovely meals posted there and plenty of ideas.

Have a good weekend everyone. For me they are always more challenging than the week as they are not so structured. I am also going to try and get a backpack today after your advice here a few days ago.

Good morning!

I've had the washing on since I got up - about to be ready to go out, 'cause it's a day of sunshine today... So washing and gardening are on the programme. As for the challenges - no "real food" shop anywhere around; if I started hopping about like mad in the garden, the neighbours would call the men in white coats - can't do it inside, as there's not enough room for me to lie down on the floor, let alone hop; and don't have anybody to play ball with, either! Gardening is good enough exercise for me any day... And a walk to the recycling place.

I know about the lack of structure in your day - been more or less unemployed for too long... It's so easy to get into the "can't be bothered" routine if you don't have a real reason to get out of bed.

Morning all - been up since 5.30, done some work (to make up for the huge amount of time I spent watching the magnificent tennis yesterday). Done a walk up into the town and around - collected some chicken gizzards (giblets I think) which I using as my new food Blitz Challenge - have got them stewing on the hob and am going to fry them off with garlic and spices and have with salad for lunch - not telling my son or husband as they won't eat them if they knew tee hee!

Going to do some gardening and housework now (a la Olly's suggestion in his fantastic Instinctive Health book). Can't do the hopping as I have arthritis in my knees and hopping is a no-no. Don't have any one to play ball with - nor do I have a ball!

Watching the tennis then going into London for more walking and sushi for dinner - bliss.

have a good day everyone!

Hopping? With sciatica? 'Fraid not. Am totally lacking in coordination - never could throw or catch - 'Fraid not. Walk - as much as I can. Out in the sunshine getting some Vitamin D - Oh Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
    Today rather than starting this thread from the train, I am lying comfortably in bed. Good morning all.
    Having just read today's mail from Zoe, Andy and Olly, I am not sure how successful I will be with today's challenges. I will manage the walk as I need to go into town today and I will walk. That will be half hour in and half hour back plus the walking around while I'm there. I will try to look for something I've never bought before but I don't have anyone to throw a ball with. I'll have a closer look at the hopping drill and see if that is something I can do, if it won't jar my back too much. (See mail to understand what I am on about).

Yesterday was a good day for me. Kept to no cheats and no snacks. I walked in the morning and lunch time so I think I'll give myself a 10/10. I have yet to fill out the page.

Today we have a lunch out at a restaurant using a Groupon voucher so I don't know what choices I'll have. It is a three course meal at a place I have never been. I have now learnt how to upload photos to the forum using my iPad so I will try to add more to the photo thread. There are some lovely meals posted there and plenty of ideas.

Have a good weekend everyone. For me they are always more challenging than the week as they are not so structured. I am also going to try and get a backpack today after your advice here a few days ago.

Hello Priscilla
    Totally off Blitz topic but I keep meaning to say that after we met you (and Andrew!) in Bruges we cycled to Gent, where we had a boat trip into the city on the Saturday night - it was so pretty. Then on the Sunday we cycled to the Flower market and then to another square called - I think - The Friday Market. (It was Sunday) - there was a sort of pet market there - and a man selling strawberries from the back of his van so John and I bought a punnet and guzzled the lot then and there, they were so delicious. We loved our cycle trip through Belgium and Holland, the countryside, houses and gardens are so beautiful. Good luck with your Blitz and well done for achieving a 10/10 day yesterday. Keep it up!

Sue

Forum Guest

I'm up late today but it is the first day of my annual leave so I think I'm allowed! We've run out of milk so I'm going to walk up to the shop and buy some which will hopefully get me kick started. I'm a bit sluggish this morning having fallen off the wagon big time last night and drunk 3 pints of Guinness. This was a planned event and will happen again in two weeks time. I reckon that if these are my only big indulgences it won't be too bad. I'm very pleased that I didn't eat anything I shouldn't have when I came home from the pub!
    I hope to do a big walk later and take the family with me, there are two possible routes which are both challenging and scenic. Unfortunately the local "real food" shop is a butchers and I'm vegetarian. There are a couple of farm shops selling local veg etc but it's all basic stuff like carrots & potatoes, there aren't many veggies I've never eaten if any at all and to get something more exotic I'd have to go to a supermarket which kind of defeats the object.
    Right, off to get dressed and march up to the shop for milk to make kefir for tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Janedcb View Post
    Unfortunately the local "real food" shop is a butchers and I'm vegetarian. There are a couple of farm shops selling local veg etc but it's all basic stuff like carrots & potatoes, there aren't many veggies I've never eaten if any at all and to get something more exotic I'd have to go to a supermarket which kind of defeats the object.
    Right, off to get dressed and march up to the shop for milk to make kefir for tomorrow.
    Ah - discovered another veggie!

I have the same problem with interesting veg buying... Actually, I work part time for an organic local veg grower, so know all about what's available, and always have plenty in the house - plus what I grow in my garden. Local cheese is generally not affordable for somebody on a low to zero income. The occasional visit to the supermarket often leaves me wondering what those strange vegetables are - and do we really have to import stuff from goodness knows where just because it's weird? I prefer it fresh and from here!

Good morning!

Scored myself a 10/10 for yesterday. More by luck than judgement as the exercise almost exactly matched my plans of 30 mins to work in the morning, running errands in mid-afternoon and 30 mins walking home at night. And I had a (fairly) leisurely evening meal - by which I mean I wasn't at my desk at work so I actually sat and ate my tuna egg mayo off a real plate! Polishing my halo as well because after dinner I got a major case of the munchies - had a long internal discussion between the angel on my right shoulder & the devil on my left - and the angel won I waited it out & the cravings went away.

Busy morning at home today & I was amazed I got over 800 steps in just clearing up the bedroom & bathroom. (I have a pedometer on as my office is holding a 'steps challenge') That's a lot of steps inside a small 1-bed flat! Then I walked to work, and I'll walk home again in a few hours.

No game of catch I'm afraid: no-one to play with. I did giggle a bit at the thought of grabbing my old softball glove & pretending to be Steve McQueen in The Great Escape's 'Cooler' - that'd be really tempting if I didn't have neighbours on both sides, above & below. I just can't be that rude, even for Zoe!!

I'm also postponing the 'buy something new' - the only butchers near me that's open when I'm not at work is Borough Market and I just don't have time today. I'll put that in my workbook to do next weekend. And why not tomorrow I hear you say...because I have a fun day planned taking a photography course - really excited about that

Onwards & downwards Blitzers!

Day 6 already! Cannot believe how easy this week has been for me so far and how good I am feeling. A big test tonight, as we are going out to dinner at some friends. I do not want to be rude, so will try to eat as smartly as I can without drawing attention and have offered to drive home, which will keep me off the wine lol.

Weighed myself this morning and was delighted with my progress so far. A long way to go still, but I am more positive than I have been for a long while.

Have a lovely weekend everyone - a nice hot day here in Kent today.

L x

@Andy - sorry Andy, forgot to say thank you for sorting out the email ��