Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do I do it???...........

Default Why do I do it???...........

Pig liver is not my favourite by a long way... If I were to rank liver it go thus:

Lamb
    Chicken
    Pig
    (where .... = judgement reserved as I haven't tried it as an adult)

Now Morrisons had no lamb or chicken liver and I've had a bit of a sniffle for the last 3 days so I thought "I need some of the most nutritious food known to man!" Smeg it! I bought some pig liver...

Well... I've just cooked it (250g) with a 200g onion and some garlic.... and some no-nasty hot (very damn hot) pepper sauce.

I must say, I've never enjoyed a meal LESS!!! It isn't the taste of pig liver that I don't like... It is the texture... like paste on the inside. I've never got halfway through a meal in my life and been gagging on every mouthful! Stubborn bugger that I am; I finished the whole lot..

Never buying it again!! Lamb's every time for me from now on. Much nicer texture - like steak! The nausea has taken my mind off the (receding) cold symptoms!
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

Far from my favourite too, Mat.
    I find it's ok when made into pate, but simply on its own is not for me either.
    Lamb, chicken, calves liver, however. Yummy.
    The truth is deafening, no matter how quietly spoken.

Never tried calves! I may have to!

At one point I actually had a tear coming from my right eye!!
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

must have been the pepper sauce.
    The truth is deafening, no matter how quietly spoken.

Deffo!!

You see I actually prefer pigs liver - however I will now force some lambs liver down and make a new comparison...

*retches!

I have strong memories of leather-like liver and onions from my childhood and had refused to eat it since becoming a grown-up. Then last year I tried the pate recipe on here, using chicken livers, and found it rather tasty. Last weekend I asked hubby what he'd really like to eat and he asked for liver and onions. I said he could have it if he cooked it and he agreed, which is extremely rare, so I had to eat it. I also had to set a good example for my pernickety kids. Anyway, chicken livers with bacon and onions was surprisingly nice. I'd even eat it again. I'll steer clear of pigs' livers though - they sound rather chewy and I don't want to eat food that makes me cry (that's what my oatbran with water did when I tried it last week, I've opted for bacon/eggs for brekkie for the next 2 weeks instead!).

Hope the liver and pepper sauce scares off your cold :-)

Ellie

I think it has!!!

You have got the texture nailed in your description! Chewy on the outside - pasty on the inside! *Barf!

My fave is ox liver followed by chicken liver, I find lambs liver a bit 'gritty' but I've never tried pigs... you guys have deffo settled me on NOT buying that one. I do have pigs kidneys in the freezer... was going to put them in a stew with beef, now I'm worried that they will have an odd texture too
    Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution. Anne O'Neil