Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D and the current epidemic.?

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/dear...ogIlFhekhXeiJ9
    Just read this on Mark Sisson site, he’s suggesting caution re Vit D specifically with regard to COVID19.

Vitamin D Supplementation Could Prevent and Treat Influenza, Coronavirus, and Pneumonia Infections
    Low vitamin D status in winter permits viral epidemics. During winter, people who do not take vitamin D supplements are likely to have low serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D] concentrations.
    Vitamin D can reduce the risk of viral epidemics and pandemics in several ways.
    First, higher 25(OH)D concentrations reduce the risk of many chronic diseases, including cancers, cardiovascular disease, chronic respiratory tract infections (RTIs), diabetes mellitus, and hypertension.
    Patients with chronic diseases have significantly higher risk of death from RTIs than otherwise healthy people.
    Second, vitamin D reduces risk of RTIs through three mechanisms: maintaining tight junctions, killing enveloped viruses through induction of cathelicidin and defensins, and reducing production of proinflammatory cytokines by the innate immune system, thereby reducing the risk of a cytokine storm leading to pneumonia.
    Observational and supplementation trials have reported higher 25(OH)D concentrations associated with reduced risk of dengue, hepatitis, herpesvirus, hepatitis B and C viruses, human immunodeficiency virus, influenza, respiratory syncytial virus infections, and pneumonia.
    Results of a community field trial reported herein indicated that 25(OH)D concentrations above 50 ng/ml (125 nmol/l) vs. <20 ng/ml were associated with a 27% reduction in influenza-like illnesses.
    From the available evidence, we hypothesize that raising serum 25(OH)D concentrations through vitamin D supplementation could reduce the incidence, severity, and risk of death from influenza, pneumonia, and the current COVID-19 epidemic.
    DOWNLOAD free full text PDF

Vitamin D & the Upper Respiratory Tract
    Here is another video explaining in fairly clearly the evidence behind using vitamin d to prevent or reduce the adverse consequences of respiratory tract infections.
    It was a presentation given July last year so obviously there is no reference to Covid-19 however understanding how vitamin d MODULATES the enzyme actions that improve immune function will help .

The vitamin d level that enabled indigenous peoples to survive the evolutionary process is between 40-60ng/ml 100-150nmol/l.
    Most UK adults have 25(OH)D levels between 35nmol/l at the end of winter(now) and 75nmol/l at the end of summer.
    All I am suggesting is that people raise vitamin d DAILY intake so they reach the same level that indigenous peoples living traditional outdoor lives while wearing minimal clothing typically attain and maintain.

Is vitamin D spray as good as taking tablets? If you check dosage of course?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah(sjc) View Post
    https://www.marksdailyapple.com/dear...ogIlFhekhXeiJ9
    Just read this on Mark Sisson site, he’s suggesting caution re Vit D specifically with regard to COVID19.
    In one of my posts I put the work MODULATE in capitals.
    Modulation by vitamin D enables the response of cells to enzyme actions can be adjusted in response to changing circumstances. This means that in the vitamin d research some studies use far too little vitamin d while others use large bolus doses that are far higher than would occur naturally. So contradictory findings are frequent.
    In the video below Vitamin D & the Upper Respiratory Tract The presentor details several papers One example is a study using 300iu daily vitamin d in milk given to children where those kids getting the vitamin d rich milk had far fewer respiratory tract infections compared to the kids who had plain milk. Almost following (24.07 on the timeline) that example was an adult study using 100,000iu monthly (approx 3333iu/daily) which didn't show any reduction in infections. Daily dosing enables cholecalciferol to remain in serum which means cathelicidin (the human natural antimicrobial peptide) be upregulated where when and as required throughout the body. Monthly dosing means the signalling modality vitamin d enables simply doesn't operate.

Quote Originally Posted by Soupee View Post
    Is vitamin D spray as good as taking tablets? If you check dosage of course?
    As far as I know, yes. That's if it's the sub lingual drops or sprays that act by getting into the bloodstream quicker. I've got a BetterYou D3 3000iu + Vit k for when I run out of gel caps. I've taken it before.
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by grumbleweed View Post
    As far as I know, yes. That's if it's the sub lingual drops or sprays that act by getting into the bloodstream quicker. I've got a BetterYou D3 3000iu + Vit k for when I run out of gel caps. I've taken it before.

Fat-soluble vitamin intestinal absorption:

Similarly, vitamin D significantly reduced vitamin K uptake in a dose-dependent manner up to 58%.
    Obviously you are going to get some benefit from a mixed vitamin d + vitamin k combination but you would give the vitamin k a better chance by taking a separate vitamin k supplement at a different meal than the vitamin d3.

The spray does work effectively (as shown by work sponsored by Betteryou which I'm sure you know is a finding Zoe would expect to happen) but there is other work suggesting the inside of your cheek is as good if not better compared to spraying under the tongue.
    I use softgels where the cholecalciferol is carried in olive oil but for those who want to use a spray Dolphin Fitness do a bulk pack at a cheaper rate compared to Holland and Barrett. Most UK adults require 3 sprays daily for some weeks to reach 125nmol/l and 2 sprays daily to stay at/above 125nmol/l through the summer hence the need to look for a cheaper supplier.

10 years ago I started supplementing with vitamin D, but still eating a pretty high carb diet. Vit D seemed to reduce the frequency of colds, and though I'd still sometimes bronchitis. Pre Vit D bronchitis seemed to lead to pneumonia half of the time. I've been eating this way for 5 years plus and apart from throat infections haven't had a cold or bronchitis.

So to summarise this rambling, Vit D helps but I also think eating real food helps keep your immune system in tip top form.
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

In the past, I've taken vitamin k sperately, the Betteryou just seemed a convenient option. And yes...I've sprayed it in my cheek too. Easier than getting it under the tongue.
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

As far as I remember we were told to take vit d3 at around mid day. The reasoning is that your body is expecting to see sun around mid day, not so much at seven in the morning. I have just ordered some for me. I think I might be high risk as I have not been taking them for quite some time, nor have I been eating properly...
    Trust the process, the results will come