Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We Must accept That Junk Food is The New Tabacco

Default We Must accept That Junk Food is The New Tabacco

I found this article by Aseem Maholtra on another site. Linking to the Telegraph brings up the paywall. So here is where I found it.
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

Comparing the advertising budget for crisps with the healthy eating budget clearly shows the magnitude of food industry power - it’s probably greater than tobacco. I don’t think government is in a position to compete, sadly.

Thanks for finding that.
    I'm sure you are aware that it's the sugar/fructose in junk foods that reduce vitamin d levels, so overweight, obese and diabetic individuals are more likely to be vitamin d (and magnesium) deficient and consequently more likely to have a severe or critical covid infection.

Effectiveness of vitamin D supplementation in Swedish children may be negativelyimpacted by BMI and serum fructose

This study suggests that serum fructose concentrations, potentially of dietary origin, could influence the effectiveness of vitamin D supplementation (Fig. 6). Considering evidence from rodent models that suggests that fructose consumption negatively impacts vitamin D metabolism and that a poor diet consisting of high dietary glucose and fructose is associated with increased BMI, the interrelationshipbetween diet and metabolism on the effectiveness of vitamin Dsupplementation warrants further investigation.

And aseem has a reasonably high profile in the UK so this message has a chance of getting to the PM and cabinet, but do they have the guts to stand up to the fake food industries.
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

Did you also know that tobacco smoking only really took off when they started adding sugar to the tobacco? Sugar has a lot to answer for and always had!
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

I thought sugar was always added? Chewing tobacco was probably quite sweet, too.

Quote Originally Posted by roseymary View Post
    And aseem has a reasonably high profile in the UK so this message has a chance of getting to the PM and cabinet, but do they have the guts to stand up to the fake food industries.
    Of course they won't. It will be the usual endless waffling and half measures, adding in the resistance of the British public to be told what to do.
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

You can’t put the genie back in the bottle, sadly. I think all we can do is educate, curb advertising, and maybe those that won’t change - well, what can you do? Also, I think planners could reduce the number at fast food takeaways in our towns - let’s face it, they contribute hugely to littering, fat bergs in cities, rat problems and more, besides obesity/unhealthy eating. But I don’t think the food industry juggernaut can be stopped.

If the pandemic couldn’t shut it down Sarah, you are probably right.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

All good points and I am a big fan of his, but worries me slightly is doing sugar taxes and possibly junk food taxes which has been mooted only because if we support that then what happens when they want to pursue the agenda of taxing meat etc