Thread: 5 serves of fruit and veg is optimal

Default 5 serves of fruit and veg is optimal

Not much hope for me as I rarely have fruit unless tomatoes count!

https://thenewdaily.com.au/life/well...20-%2020210313
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

Club Member

I get cross over fruit and veg numbers. I eat no fruit if one looks at the normal classification for fruit, except I do love English strawberries when in season, also h/gown raspberries.

However, I do have peppers, aubergines, courgette, less often tomatoes, olives, cucumber in summer grown by hubby, theses are all fruits and yet labelled as vegetables.

Along with cauli, broccoli, other greens, shallots, leeks and other different veg, so I eat 5 a day no, not at 80g per the standard portion (often wondered how 80g was arrived at and not 100g).

Do I eat highly processed foods, no, which may mean I not not need to eat 5 per day to compensate for the rubbish.

I have eased back on veg a bit lately, and may be why I’ve stalled a bit. Generally, I like a big plate of leaves, some tomato, cucumber, radish, onion and anything else lurking in the fridge. Dinner usually has more salad or cooked veg. But last two days have been a rush, and I have skipped three out of four salads. I also have berries, raspberries once a week, and occasional frozen mixed berries. There was a post a week or two ago about eating 30 different plants each week - and I was surprised how close I got, when counting things like garlic, and spring onion which is more of a garnish. I rarely eat fruit, though, other than berries.

There was an article about this in the DM...written by Dr Michael Mosley, who else? He was of course, trashed by all the comments, as if it was his idea.
    According to what you say,Christine, I eat a fair amount of fruit. I didn't know aubergine, pepper and courgette were actually fruit.
    Some days I might have 100- 150 g of several *fruits* and veg...other days none. Still not 5 a day though.

Here's the article.
    Last edited by grumbleweed; 13th March 2021 at 12:16 PM.
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

Think we’ve been here before. Probably boils down to generally less bad habits overall.

Quote Originally Posted by grumbleweed View Post

Here's the article.
    There’s a comment on the article that suggests that chromium supplements reduce craving for sweet things, had a quick google and seems it might be worth looking at further. Just wondered if some of you struggling with the sugar monster might be interested in investigating? I rarely crave carbs, and then not the sweet ones, so not really for me.

So I've googled chromium, and the first article I'm reading is this, from wellness mama. She also suggests L-glutamine for sugar cravings. Is anyone familiar with it?

Apparently it's also recommended for IBS and gut issues, so may be of interest to RM.
    Last edited by grumbleweed; 13th March 2021 at 01:28 PM.
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

Club Member

Anything with seeds is a fruit according to my education. Rhubarb is treated as a fruit but is in fact a vegetable because it does not have seeds