Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In the Telegraph this morning . . .

Default In the Telegraph this morning . . .

War on Obesity the “priority” as nation recovers.

This headline is certainly full of hope.

If only those with the power to do so would take the necessary steps to cut processed food substitutes out of the food chain and encourage real food production and consumption . . .
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

Yes the headline is great but early on in the article the phrase "to boost activity" and "It will be modelled on methods tried abroad, such as in Singapore, where a “national steps challenge” encourages competition using digital tracker" made me think the old eat less move more model will be trotted out which will fail, because as we know "you can't outrun a bad diet".
    One is too many a thousand not enough.

Actually, I think there is something in the eat less, do more model... provided eating less is portion size not fat, and doing more is functional movement, not being a gym bunny.

Portion size has increased enormously over the last 50 years, just compare the size of standard plates and cereal bowls in your parents’ dinner service with your own. And we don’t even cross the room to change the tv channel, these days. Using a phone to order a 2ft pizza to eat in front of a screen is dreadful. I’d like to see delivery app ads banned completely, they are more likely to cause a problem than advertising just the food itself!

And we need to promote locally grown food in season, and teach people how to prepare and cook from scratch again.
    Last edited by Sarah(sjc); 29th March 2021 at 09:12 AM.

I definitely agree about the eat less. I think that happens automatically once you get rid of cravings though (unless you eat out a lot and just continue to eat large portions). I eat much less now and my stomach has shrunk back to normal proportions so that now I feel very uncomfortable if I eat too much. I think we forget how small our stomachs actually are. Yes they can stretch, but that doesn’t mean we should eat huge amounts of food just because we can.

Funny what you say about the tv, Sarah. I got a new TV just before Christmas. My old one was a CRT tv that I’d had for 20 years and I did get up to turn it on and off. Now with the new one - no can do even if I wanted to! It struck me straight away that the only option is to turn it into standby mode with the remote. I actually have 3 remotes, although I haven’t a clue what the 3rd one is for.
    3 stone gone forever! Gluten free phase 3.

Sarah - there were no such items as cereal bowls in my Mother's crockey, fruit/dessert bowls which were small and soup plates and come to think of it my first dinner service purchased in 1970 only had fruit/dessert bowls and soup plates.

But the eat less message will be eat less calories and I haven't counted one of those in nearly 7 years, I think this way of eating nutrient dense food automatically leads to eat less, but not necessarily less calories.

Quote Originally Posted by roseymary View Post
    But the eat less message will be eat less calories and I haven't counted one of those in nearly 7 years, I think this way of eating nutrient dense food automatically leads to eat less, but not necessarily less calories.
    That's the problem - it's not the calories the count, it's the quality and the other nutrients!!

Quote Originally Posted by roseymary View Post
    Sarah - there were no such items as cereal bowls in my Mother's crockey, fruit/dessert bowls which were small and soup plates and come to think of it my first dinner service purchased in 1970 only had fruit/dessert bowls and soup plates.
    No - now you mention it, my mum's had soup bowls, but not cereal bowls.

I couldn't read it all...the request that I subscribe took over.
    I agree somewhat with something like the steps challenge. We all know that walking is good way to keep fit, without the modern pressure to spend time...and money...on gym membership. Maybe emphasise energetic walking, and distance. Getting a bit out of breath is more beneficial than a slow stroll.
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by grumbleweed View Post
    I couldn't read it all...the request that I subscribe took over.
    I agree somewhat with something like the steps challenge. We all know that walking is good way to keep fit, without the modern pressure to spend time...and money...on gym membership. Maybe emphasise energetic walking, and distance. Getting a bit out of breath is more beneficial than a slow stroll.
    I agree, and back to the functional exercise thing - walking, dancing, digging etc. Walking uphill is great!