Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Jarlsberglimpe

Cold roast veg is amazing!

@Carol - Streaky FTW!
    The worst bigots in the world are those who most loudly proclaim their ‘tolerance’

Streaky is the best! It also reminds me of American bacon. Love it crispy. Yum,yum.
    Dear Stomach,you are bored,not hungry. So shut up.

It's the fat in the streaky that makes it so much more tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineJ View Post
    Made this the other day. It was very tasty but hubby and I could not decided whether the cheese did add much to the overall flavour. I would certainly make again but would try cheddar cheese, would be cheaper.

I had some cold the following day with salad and it was lovely and I think the cheese came through better. The day after that I reheated the last portion in the microwave and it did reheated very well and was also tasty and moist, again I had this with salad.
    I would be interested to know how it turns out with cheddar Christine. It seemed to me that the structure of the meatloaf was supported by the jarlsberg inside it together with the egg as the one I made was much lighter in texture than I expected. I used to use breadcrumbs in a meatloaf together with an egg to bind, but no longer do so and the jarlsberg seemed to take the place of the bread in the chemistry of the recipe.

Also the jarlsberg sliced on the outside did not run off as cheddar would have done but held the shape of the meatloaf together.
    Gilli - DLTBGYD but more importantly KCHO

I made mine with grated cheddar inside and cheddar slices on top under the bacon.
    I had no cheese run off the meatloaf and I thought the dish was rather spectacular.

I agree Gilli, that the cheese in the meat with the egg tends to bind the mixture more. The grated cheddar did that too. Afterwards I thought I could have made the cheddar slices thicker to put on the top but as a first attempt it was really lovely
    Trust the process, the results will come

I made mine with strong cheddar. I cubed it as per the recipe and sliced it for the outside. I did get a tiny bit of cheese run off, but not much. The photo was taken when I had transferred it to a different glass dish hence why there is no liquid on it.

Club Member

The slices of bacon appear to hold the cheese in place.

I prepared the one I made earlier this week in the morning, then baked it early evening for our meal. So I am going to make a couple on the morning of Dec 23rd when the family arrive for their Christmas stay and just bung it in the oven when we are ready to eat, we will have roasted veg and they can also have roast spuds.

I have made the diet doctor recipes for low-carb-molten-chocolate-cake that Roseymary put up the other day, they will do fine for a dessert after the meat loaf and make good use of the oven. I have some spare desserts and going to freeze them to see how they fair and if they can be made in advance, defrosted and then placed in the oven to gently warm.
    Last edited by ChristineJ; 1st November 2017 at 09:26 AM.

Christine, those molten cakes are on my agenda too.
    They sound absolutely d'lish
    Trust the process, the results will come

So glad this thread was resurrected. Tried this today (with my choice of herbs and spices, and cheddar cheese) and very delicious. I opened a couple of tins of tomatoes and putt them round the outside of the meat in the roasting tin, along with more herbs and spices, to have a ready made tomato sauce.

What a great idea for the tomato sauce!